Can Personality be developed?

Every time I visit any bookstore, I see many books dedicated to the topic of Personality Development. I'm talking about the self-help books that revolve around developing one's personality.

This debate is about getting various views from our fellow engineers on whether it is possible to develop personality. Or is it something that one is born with?

Do you think personality development books work? If yes, share your experience.

Replies

• hgablid
    hgablid
    i believe ones personality is formed in his/her growing up years itself,the kind of environment you get and circumstances you face.
    About the books, they can only help if one is willing to shed his beliefs and transform himself into something that he actually isnt.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    In my view personality developments books help people if they want to change.

If a person dont want to change his view, character or say personality nothing can help him.
    If he want to change it , then any book will help!

The seven habits of highly effective people helps only if we are ready to accept changes!
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    I totally agree with the English-Scared. If one tries to change his or her personality with zeal, he/she will finally change himself/herself.
    Its true that some people scores higher than others in terms of personality due to the surrounding they have been brought up, but its quite possible that other people who lacks those qualities can develop them over some period of time by doing some form practices in real scenario.
    For such people plenty of materials in the form of books & video tutorials are available.
  • Pechu
    Pechu
    Yes, books can help, but not as much as hanging around with people with a good personality.
    Just stick around with such people, you will learn a lot. And i don't mean to say not to hang around with others, because you can learn a thing or two from everyone living 😀

Anyways after reading the book, you will start noticing things around you similar to what you read in the books ! !
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    yes i think books can help some one in developing personality.Books always provide you a path but it depends on you whether you want to walk on it or not.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I think personality as whole can be changed if there is a humbleness in a person to see what he lacks in his personality and what he wants to develop. If someone thinks he is 100% perfect , he would not get the essense of the book what ever book you might refer.
    If you take INDIAN saint's Swami Vivekananda's books , they don't generally ask you t0 follow, but in general spread the word of courage on doing something, its upto you to take up inspiration from them.
  • madugula
    madugula
    yes.. I agree with ES. personality doesn't change unless and until you have willingness to accept the change.. even by reading books, if you think that the matter is going to help you build up your character, then only your personality can BE changed..
    everything depends on HOW AND WHAT WE THINK..
    remember "THOUGHTS ARE THE SEEDS OF ACTIONS" :smile:
  • Vega
    Vega
    Well, I think certain facets of personality can be polished using diff erent techniques. Things like appearance, look, style can be worked upon.
  • callyD
    callyD
    Some portion of your personality is innate / biological. You can change some portion of your personality by trying to change how you think about things.
  • Sandrat
    Sandrat
    While I agree with most of the above comments, I think personality is very difficult to change; genetics and years of upbringing in certain surroundings while our brain is developing can't be changed just like that.
    I like to think of personality development as expanding your personality to add what you feel is lacking. You seldom meet people who've completely changed in personality, but rather people who've improved their personality. If that makes any sense.

But then again, isn't that what "development" means 😉 ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am an electrical student i need some ideas regarding mini projects
i don't know whether it is right to post here. i m a student of electronics first year (B.E)(AICTE approved) . i want to know that whether we will be...
According to this post on YouTube Blog: YouTube Blog: Safety Mode: Giving You More Control on YouTube , youTube has recently added a safety mode to the YouTube. It's easy...
hello! somebody please help me in tracing out the behaviour of an IR sensor on detecting the IR LED light. i intend to look for the properties of black and...
Please i need urgent help on a mini project on the topic: design and construction of 3 watts AM transmitter. What i really need is the circuit diagram and it's...