Can one IC engine have two pistons?

in one ic engine we can use two piston ? 😒

Replies

• Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    What do you mean by one engine. We can have only one piston per cylinder and the engine can be multicylinder. At the most a piston can be double acting, but that too will be in one cylinder only.
    There are V Engines where motion of one piston influences the motion of the other piston which are both situated in seperate cylinders.
  • blacrobous
    blacrobous
    if its a double cylinder IC engine it can have two pistons
  • nany_mech
    nany_mech
    there are multi piston engines, V6, V8 , V12, W12 etc; are having multiple pistons, and moment of one piston initiates the moments of other ones.

Example consider V6 engine, it has 6 pistons and cylinders as well. They are positioned in a V form, with 3 on one side and other 3 on other side.
    This whole unit is an IC engine(of course).

If we want to have one cylinder and two pistons, as Rohan said it will be a double acting one. That means suction, compression & combustion will take place on both the sides of the piston.
  • Toby
    Toby
    rohan has given a very true answer... gud work man....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Toby
    rohan has given a very true answer... gud work man....
    Refrain from using SMS text on CE Forums.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Common twin cylinder designs include: opposed twin, parallel twin & the v twin format.
  • shinde_tukaram
    shinde_tukaram
    i means .in one cylinder we make partition and use two piston in one anoter side . its possible ? 😕
    its give good performance ?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    shinde_tukaram
    i means .in one cylinder we make partition and use two piston in one anoter side . its possible ? 😕
    its give good performance ?
    It won't give good performance, rather you would reduce the performance. Make it heavier, reduce the compression ratio which will reduce the efficiency and reduce the engine discplacement, which will reduce the power generated.

If you have a new idea that counters these points, then do share it with us.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Plus increased friction and more moving parts for increased failure points. I agree though it is an interesting concept. Any drawings or ideas on how to set it up?
  • 4d1
    4d1
    [​IMG]
    this drill is driven by a one-cylinder two-stroke petrol engine. The cylinder has two pistons: a double acting motor/compressor piston and an impacting piston.
    The compressed air is used to return the impact piston and for blowing the hole. The impact piston serves only to transmit the blows to the shank of the drills steel or other tool.
  • 4d1
    4d1
    [​IMG]

an opposed piston engine :
    1 intake for the fuel-air mixture
    2 supercharger (here: rotary vane pump; original: Centrix)
    3 airbox to buffer and distribute the mixture
    4 waste valve to limit the pressure level
    5 outlet crank mechanism (runs app. 20° past the outlet to achieve an asymmetric control diagram)
    6 inlet crank mechanism
    7 cylinder with inlet and outlet slots
    8 exhaust
    9 water cooling jacket
    10 sparkplug

There existed two versions: one with a displacement of 250 cm³, and one with 350 cm³ displacement. The engine had two cylinders with four pistons, two crankshafts and a supercharger. The crankshafts were connected by gears. The fuel-air mixture was produced by a carburetor. This resulted in a high fuel consumption !

hope you got what you were looking for 😒
  • 4d1
    4d1
    a deltic engine layout: as can be seen,three cylinders and six pistons..(.two in each cylinder )

[​IMG]
  • Adil saleem
    Adil saleem
    Very nice 4d1.Very informative indeed.
  • juma1987
    juma1987
    Nice post and information!! :smile: So how this system work compared with the normal engines? i mean the efficiency of it, do you have some numbers?
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    The site #-Link-Snipped-# explains many innovative engine designs. Many articles on the Peswiki are about things that are crackpot or fraudulent, but the articles on engines tend to be about devices that might work.
  • mutley
    mutley
    I will be having two pistons firing at the same time on a four cyclinder engine to try and get the torque up, its a suck it a see project. will also have a second engine that will be electric and around 250 nm as a boost as will be pulling a way in 4th gear/ 1:1 of the crank to wheels

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm looking for an ANSYS Project. It has to be cool, simple and easy to understand. Looking forward to your responses.
here i want to know tips about mini project i m persuing B.tech 3 rd year in computer science please also attach respected ER model and DFD of project
My friend, CEan - Gaurav celebrates his 28[sup]th[/sup] birthday today. 😁HaPPy Birthday Dude!😁 Gaurav was the first one to join CE after the administrator accounts 😁 . You can see...
what is the difference b/w soft and hard computing?? 😁
What is the difference between electrical and electronics?