Can a business grow big without being corrupt?

I've heard this lot of times and I wish to have a debate on this topic. Can a business grow really big without being corrupt?

Do you have any real life examples of businesses that grew big without being corrupt at any point of time?

Γ’€œBribery has become a $1 trillion industry,Γ’€ according to the World Bank. A 2007 #-Link-Snipped-# of business executives found that 43 percent of respondents believed they lost business because a competitor paid a bribe. FSG Social Impact Advisors #-Link-Snipped-# that corruption costs $2.6 trillion globally."

VoiCE your thoughts! πŸ˜€

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Sure, however just as in personal life, the honest way is the hard way.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    Can a business grow really big without being corrupt?
    Any doubts? πŸ˜€
    Examples: Don't know any but know one thing those business which grow big also have large variety of different kind of peoples contributing in it directly or indirectly. May be the owners are not corrupt but you never know about others[those who take bribe] - that makes a big business corrupt. If we see from other angle , there is no relation of success of business with bribe as per me.

gohm
    Sure, however just as in personal life, the honest way is the hard way.
    Completely agree with each and every word of yours.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    The_Big_K
    I've heard this lot of times and I wish to have a debate on this topic. Can a business grow really big without being corrupt?

Do you have any real life examples of businesses that grew big without being corrupt at any point of time?

Γ’€œBribery has become a $1 trillion industry,Γ’€ according to the World Bank. A 2007 #-Link-Snipped-# of business executives found that 43 percent of respondents believed they lost business because a competitor paid a bribe. FSG Social Impact Advisors #-Link-Snipped-# that corruption costs $2.6 trillion globally."

VoiCE your thoughts! πŸ˜€
    Ya sure, Infosys can be an example I think
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I am a live example from a company whose COE was corrupt! :'(

So Moral of the story: You cant go too far with corrupt governance.
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The answer lies with you yourself.

It all boils down to how much you can take and endure trying to survive in a system where the SARKARI BABU holds the power to let your case be or not to be.

Lets start with a very general example, your course of action to this situation will show you how far you can go.

EG. Majority of you use Motor bikes for commuting. What would you do if you unintentionally or bymistake break a signal or overspeed, and a traffic cop catches you.
    Would you have your Driving License surrendered as per rule, wait for 15 days to go to the court, pay the stipulated fine there, and collect the License thereafter.
    How many of you would take the 'Hard Way' and make atleast two visits to the RTO or the COURT , plead for not repeating the case( you cant be sure of such things, they can happen despite taking utmost care), and for the BIKE HABITUATED species can theysurvive without License for 15 days or be almost handicapped without it.
    Or would you go the otherwayround. Just pop in a few bucks in the COp's hands and get away. Your true response to this will answer your question.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi Rohan_SK

I am not opposing any of your points πŸ˜€ - just asking Isn't it the example which you gave is of bribe in normal life ? I don't think it as an example of BIG BUSINESS.

I couldn't get your take over this topic of debate πŸ˜€

-Cheers
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Hi Shalini,
    Yes, certainly the example I mentioned is related to our day to day life. I've already said its general.
    My intention was to let the readers have a reality check with themselves by starting from a very common situation of bribery and honestly see for themselves what would their response in such a situattion be. Just a samll LITMUS TEST.
    If they could overcome the desperate desire of getting away with a Bribe, they would probably do the same at any level of business life or any other walk of life.
    But if they melt to the temptation the..... well the answer lies with them.

But as far as a BIG BUSINESS is concerned, there is a vast scope of debate on whether it can survive in ALL SITUATIONS wahtsoever without corrruption.
    I would especially mention a very BIG BUSINESS HOUSE prominently, and I am not wrong in saying this (it is a reliable ,verified fact) , that it literally has Govt, Municipal and other rival companies officers and also ministers on their PAY ROLL.
    The company is .... HINT : Apne baap ka sapna , sabka maal apna..
    the Founder sittting on a big chair with two fingers on his cheek.

PS : Thanks for breaking the Ice.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Note: I request all member to refrain from using non-English words in posts. CrazyEngineers is read by engineers from over 187 countries.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Rohan your point is good , but in day-to-day life bribery is not at all relative to the bribery at work.

for Example consider a civil Engineer who as you said jumped the signal bribed police and reached office , its not sure that the same person take money to approve a bad construction!!!

So bribery in Business is different -- Consider a Example Comp - A and Comp - B are in the same business if Comp - B bribes govt for a contract then it wins business so what should comp - A do??

Comp -A is honest and doest bribe definitely Comp -B grows big πŸ˜€

So in current situation bribery has become a business method to win business!!! pity the system nothing to do with it ..

So if we want a company to grow without bribery i think no... No company without bribery can establish something , it should bribe politicians.

if bribe is more then it comes out or else it doesnt.

As far as my opinion is concerned here most of the companies bribe someone or the other to grow business ,it may be government, clients ,etc etc
  • tech_vaibhav_ee
    tech_vaibhav_ee
    google is an org. which is not corrupted..as far as i know..
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Saandep, man do you have some kinda magical powers dudeπŸ˜›!! you literally read my mind or what??? My next post was going to be just on the same lines as the example you've sited. stole my words buddy😁 ........( kidding )

Yes, you're right. The situation I mentioned is not directly linked to bribery at workplace. But once a cheat always a cheat, thats what I meant to say. I mean for such guys bribing in fututre wont prick their concscience, it flows with ease.

What I was saying next was, exactly like what you mentioned.

Corruption / Bribery has become an INDISPENSIBLE ritual in any business establishment, right from its set up to its regular business.

Say you head a team developing a product, and there are other few competitors too. Then no matter how talented you are, how much hardwork your team puts in, sincere in work, no compromises in quality of material, or whatever.

But even if one of your competitors suceeds in MANAGING some key player in your Client firm, then all your efforts, slogging, talent, enthusiasm is gone INVAIN. He happiy walks away with the contract even if he doesnt deserve a bit. Just imagine your plight then, youre shattered.

And this will happen in almost all such biddings, then if you stick to your principles you are always missing an opportunity to exhibit your talent and skills and try giving a better quality of service.

The question is how far can one live with this?? Lose business always or just manage people in the right places and get the work done.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Fellas, Very soon, we're going to need an office [those who don't know, CE is being operated from a desk in the corner of my bedroom πŸ˜› ]. I want...
I've been thinking about this since long. Let's see what we think as a team here on CE - What's your opinion on creating formal CE City Chapters? Or, is...
Hello CEans, I am wondering and πŸ˜”, In CE we don't have a specific thread to have the discussions on CS Technical Interview Questions. This thread is all about the...
Wish happy birthday to our Cean Safwan
NOTE: These Stats are not Official Neither are Sure to be Correct. ​ Stats collected from: Value My Web | Free Website Valuation Report. How Much Is My Website Worth?...