cams

1. Any idea what is the base circle diameter of the cam profile used in operating valves of IC engines?

2. How much is the lift of valves normally in IC engines?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The lift of valve is very small and depends on the profile of cam. I think, you are trying to design cam.
    Smallest on an average is around 2mm and maximum that I have heard is around 8.7 mm. This might be helpful to you.
    Cam Design
    Camshaft Technology and Calculations
  • mechky
    mechky
    Issue
    The lift of valve is very small and depends on the profile of cam. I think, you are trying to design cam.
    Smallest on an average is around 2mm and maximum that I have heard is around 8.7 mm. This might be helpful to you.
    Cam Design
    Camshaft Technology and Calculations

Ok, thanks for your reply.

I have found that the cams used to operate valves of IC engines are circular arc cams. I am trying to design a circular arc cam with 45 degree rise and 45 degree fall i.e the valve opens at TDC and closes at BDC (the ideal case). Say, I choose the lift to be 4mm.
    Now, how can I determine the other two parameters which are - the least radius of cam and nose radius. Please help me with this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello guys! I'm new here. ๐Ÿ˜€
I wish all CEans a very happy and prosperous Diwali.....๐Ÿ˜€
I have a query and I thought that this forum would be the appropriate one to ask. Here it goes:- What is the difference between ANSI C and C? Let...
i'm searching for a mini project topic ..new techonoly topics....wich can be done wd .net ,java or python...
Maria Flor is celebrating her birthday today. Happy Birthday Maria. Tell us how are you celebrating your birthday? ๐Ÿ˜ :myparty: ๐ŸŽ‰:myparty::myparty: