cache memory of ram

can any one tell me where we find the cache memory of ram ?

correct me if i am wrong.

😁

Replies

• gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Can you clarify your question?

A cache memory is just a chunk of very fast memory used to interface the CPU and RAM or CPU and Disk.
  • shruti palod
    shruti palod
    Hi.
    Cache memory is a RAM located in the CPU.It can also be placed on a separate chip but off chip cache is slower than on chip cache. 😁
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    there are many types of cache memory available. L1,L2,L3 are associated with the processor while many more components contain register and shift registers working as their cache. The L1-3 cache memory act as memory banks (similar to buffer). A cpu or a processor is very fast , a ram is fast and a disk is slow(relatively). Thus when a data has to be executed it may create bottlenecks 'cos of disproportionate speeds. To solve this problem. we have cache memory.
    L1,2 and 3 are called CPU cache incorporated onto the cpu die itself. 3 being bigger than 2 and 2 being bigger than 1. The cpu will access 1 then 2 and then 3. L2 cache is also called as RAM cache as it works between the cpu and the ram. In MAC computers. RAM cache can also mean as disc cache. When buying a new computer always look for one with the largest L2 cache as ur computer's performance will depend greatly on this, more so for gaming and other cpu intensive tasks.
    L3 cache was introduced lately to complement the task of L2 cache. having L3 will be an added advantage.
    One more cache that plays an important role is the disc cache/buffer. These days hard disks typically come with on disk 32mb buffer. There's also a 64 mb variant but it comes costly.

So if u mean cache memory of ram its more or less the L2 cache of the CPU which acts with the RAM to marginalize the CPU-RAM interaction latency. that is the time(maybe in mili or nano seconds) lost for an instruction to travel between ram and CPU(depends on RAM speed, CPU speed and the connecting bus speed).

For more info read
    Cpu Cache
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    optimystix
    there are many types of cache memory available. L1,L2,L3 are associated with the processor while many more components contain register and shift registers working as their cache. The L1-3 cache memory act as memory banks (similar to buffer). A cpu or a processor is very fast , a ram is fast and a disk is slow(relatively). Thus when a data has to be executed it may create bottlenecks 'cos of disproportionate speeds. To solve this problem. we have cache memory.
    L1,2 and 3 are called CPU cache incorporated onto the cpu die itself. 3 being bigger than 2 and 2 being bigger than 1. The cpu will access 1 then 2 and then 3. L2 cache is also called as RAM cache as it works between the cpu and the ram. In MAC computers. RAM cache can also mean as disc cache. When buying a new computer always look for one with the largest L2 cache as ur computer's performance will depend greatly on this, more so for gaming and other cpu intensive tasks.
    L3 cache was introduced lately to complement the task of L2 cache. having L3 will be an added advantage.
    One more cache that plays an important role is the disc cache/buffer. These days hard disks typically come with on disk 32mb buffer. There's also a 64 mb variant but it comes costly.

So if u mean cache memory of ram its more or less the L2 cache of the CPU which acts with the RAM to marginalize the CPU-RAM interaction latency. that is the time(maybe in mili or nano seconds) lost for an instruction to travel between ram and CPU(depends on RAM speed, CPU speed and the connecting bus speed).

For more info read
    Cpu Cache
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Nicely said Opty!
    So what we talk about Cache is L2-Cache!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey, I am a newbie, and I hope I am not abusing the very purpose of this forum. I am currently pursuing my B.tech in E&E engineering. I am searching...
I am a computer engineering student and recently came across term Keyboard Buffering. Can someone explain to me what exactly is keyboard buffering?
in a bipolar junction transistor (used as an amplifier) the collector current is alpha times the emitter current and alpha is always less than one ,but amplification means the input...
How close to an edge of unreinforced concrete trench fill foundation is it possible to erect a brickwork wall, say 140mm wide? If the applied bearing pressure below foundation is...
If you have any queries regarding your summer training 2010, please post it here. This will help, have you seen 3 idiots (recent India BOX office super hit), you will...