BYOD Debate - Should employees be encouraged to 'bring your own device'?

BYOD seems to be a global phenomenon these days that's being adopted by several companies. Those who don't know about BYOD - it stands for 'Bring Your Own Device'. That is instead of company allotting you a laptop or mobile; the company will encourage you to use your own device. So you will be able to carry your own laptop to office and work from it.

Obviously, there are upsides and downsides to this approach. On the 'upsides', the surveys have found that employees get more productive when using their own device or gadget at work. Plus the companies can save a large amount of money on hardware procurement.

On the downside, there's a data security risk. You can't really, effectively control what employees bring and carry away on their laptops or mobile phones.

But yet, BYOD is getting popular it seems (I'm not sure though). I've based my opinion on the (possibly) paid articles written in the popular media. Would like to hear your opinions on this.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    BYOD is a good approach to enhance productivity. They can engage personnel 24X7.
    Data Security is not much concern because when a employee agree to use their personal device with company. they need to install encryption software which restrict their uses.Off-course all activity will be logged .
    For example: if I have my android device rooted/unrooted and agree to use as official mail on it.
    I have to install companies encryption software which restrict my device. like USB debugging will be disabled, and if I will try to jailbreak it whole data will erased automatically.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This is a really interesting debate topic and it seems it has become a talk of the town. It must be a tough challenge to retrieve a company's data when an employee who uses a personal device for work purposes, leaves the company. It is imperative to structure strict policies for BYOD. Leaking of valuable information is something the company's will be utmost careful about. That's the reason why most of them are opting out of BYOD.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm not sure why is this a news, but Facebook is going to do the biggest email blast in the history - 1 billion emails to all its users. The...
Ohk... The time is here my first ever practical exam. From 23rd November. Hope it will be fine.
Can we get mirror reflections on any materials by machining on CNC machining center..? If it is possible what is the surface finish value..?
I stumbled upon KaraokeGarage - a social singing platform that is fun to use and brings your singing talent out of bathroom. What the site lets you do is play...
Here's an old trick that lets you play youtube videos in VLC media player - arguably the world's most favorite media player on Windows, OSX and Linux platforms. I tested...