Bus speed problem?

Hi friends,

We all know that CPU speed is used recognize/calculate the processes per second at the faster rate and BUS speed is used to recognize/calculate the rate of data transfer and it is also true that the if the BUS is speed is higher then we can transfer instruction at higher rate and also if CPU speed is higher then the instruction get processed at higher rate hence reduce the time.

I noticed every time that the BUS speed is less then the CPU speed why it is so?
For ex if the BUS speed is 66 MHz then the CPU speed is 300 MHz it shows that there is big difference why it is so?
and what if the BUS speed equals or greater then CPU speed?

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    I think due to slow peripherals(mechanical devices) as compared to processor(which works on electronic speed) we uses the buses of low speed.
    Buffer memory is also used to smooth the timing difference between processors and peripheral devices.

Correct me if i am wrong...!
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    @mohit: But the only peripherals device which is a slow is HDD and is only due the random arrangement of file system and all the other peripheral device are fast and every peripheral is connected with bus so if the bus is more then the request from that peripheral to the processor is also faster..
    A faster bus speed increases the speed of computer performance...
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hi Sushant Mohit is right the answer to your question is other slow peripheral devices. How actually computer devices decide to co-operate depends on with how many devices the most slowest device on your computer is connected. If 'A' is device with 'x' MHz capacity and connected with 'n' devices then your performance will reduce to x/n MHz when device 'A' will be put to use.

And a faster bus is not always answer to increase performance of your system but how the bus is arranged inside board. You might have seen cheap computers running every computer application without problem whereas some highly expensive ones fails to its competition, this problem arrives since most people think buying devices with higher price is always a rescue. But the real thing is the most powerful component that serves your computer devices are your CPU and Motherboard, so if your Motherboard is capable of juicing up every device on your system no matter other devices are little slow Motherboard will try to exhaust it and give performance. And hence its called Motherboard.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    @Mohit and Leo: Thanx for clarifying my doubts...i got my answer...
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Not only HDD sushant our printer,scanner,mouse are also come under peripheral devices.As we know these are electromechanical devices so it is vary slow as compared to our processor(electronic speed).And one more thing peripheral devices are not directly connected through buses.We have a buffer memory in between them.You need to store the data in buffer before provide output bit's on peripherals.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    Ya you are right a fast speed bus can not be implemented with slow peripheral devices and buffer is only used used to faster the process...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have a question which is asked many times in any interviews. Microprocessors memory is fixed or variable ?
Hello, I have planned to do a project on embedded systems... It's something which I've never tried out earlier... But I've to even present it in a college exhibition.. the...
would someone please help me what type of robot should i work on...in leisure.... autonomous robot??and how??😕
For a pressure gauge mounted vertically on a horizontal pipeline, the flow of the fluid in the pipe will tend to be in the horizontal direction since that is the...
Could anyone suggest any books on microcontrollers and microprocessor architecture and also their programming ?