Building Load Shedding

Hello CE'ers,

We have a building where the power trips whenever the load exceeds 400 amps. I have been asked to create a scheduel to shed some of the loads within the building whenever the power consumption reaches a certain load, so that the power never trips within the building.

I am very unsure where to start and do not really know of power phases etc. I have a list with all the equipment , it's phase, KW, AMPS and the assumed max current per phase. How would I go about the create a scheduel? The building has a BMS system which would control this.

Regards,
LEon

Replies

• reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Hello LEon,

You are correct in starting out with a list like you mentioned. Further to that, I have a few suggestions -

1) Try to get a statistical plot of how power is consumed in the building in 24hours. You can perhaps make observations over a week and average them out. Based on this observation you may get an idea on how to handle things.

2) It can be safely assumed that the maximum consumption would be perhaps in the 6:00pm to 11:00pm range when maximum lights, TV, etc are on. However the catch here is that that is perhaps the time range when the building occupants would want the power to definitely remain on. This has to be sensitively handled.

2) One way to remove a major consumption factor is to avoid water pumping during the night, because that is when domestic consumption is maximum.

3) Depending on how the various loads are connected to the 3 phases, I think it should be ensured that the load shed is almost equal on all the phases. Perhaps other CEians knowledgable in Power distribution can confirm this.

Cheers
    Karthik
    😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need specifications / standards for ristriction and intergral orifice plate,
Gift a C​A​R​E​E​R​at Globallogic to your friends.​ And they might never stop being grateful​ Can there be a better gift than a career with Asia 's No. 1 Employer in...
hello, please give me possible reasons for 'transformer differential operation' in power plant as it trips the plant. i'm working in 12 mw power plant. thanks
pls give me notes related to load forecasting for exam. please help me friends
Greetings, I just got myself registered here because I can't think of any idea for my final year project :/ I just look through the interesting project ideas list in...