BSNL EVDO username & password

I have new Micromax MMX 300C EVDO modem from BSNL. It works perfectly in windows platform. Username (cdma) & password (cdma) is also correct which allows to connect to internet.
Today I installed Ubuntu 10.10 which detects the connected device and tries to connect to internet through "Mobile Broadband" as I have created one.
I entered the same username and password i.e. cdma for both, but I am not able to connect to internet.
What's the problem?? I have entered the same info. as in windows. ๐Ÿ˜”
Need Help... ๐Ÿ˜€ Anybody having idea?? Any EVDO-Ubuntu user??

Replies

• Pranav Kathale
    Pranav Kathale
    Second thing, I want to ask is about Ubuntu..
    Every time when I try to change any settings, it asks me for the password authentication?? ๐Ÿ˜”
    Is there any setting by which we can close that window??
    Waiting for reply!!
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hi Pranav, i don't know much about EVDO but can you please elaborate what exactly you did to connect internet via EVDO so that i can really figure out what the problem is.
    Your second problem is authentication request, you can't stop it until you are root user. By default in Ubuntu root is locked, to unlock it type

$ sudo passwd

now enter your admin user password then enter new UNIX password twice and you are done. Next time when you want to login, login as root and you'll not get frequent authentication messages. Note that in some cases you may need to enter password but not always. Happy Computing.
  • Leo
    Leo
    By the way Prannav i visited your blog and site, good damn you write like professionals. You guyz have upper hand skill in writing TECH-articles and personal blogs, seriously you write interesting things. Keep it up i hope, India is to get new top writers for future.
  • Pranav Kathale
    Pranav Kathale
    Hi Leo,
    I installed Ubuntu. Connected my EVDO modem. It is detected by OS and shown the message of configuring "Mobile Broadband" option. So I selected the detected device then country and service provider (BSNL). Then, next window for entering the username and password... so I entered the detials. That's it. But it fails to connect to internet. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Pranav Kathale
    Pranav Kathale
    So, there is no other option for "authentication request"??
    Any other setting in OS?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ahoy! Here's one happy uBuntu - EVDO user ๐Ÿ˜

2. The authentican box is actually a security feature. Something similar to what you have in Windows Vista and later.

1. Your device should work without any problems. I hope you've created a new connection (uBuntu will detect it anyways and make a connection for you) and provided the correct settings [#777 as number] and the default username/password.

With these settings, just logout & login again. Now check the wi-fi icon in the top menu bar - your new connection will be listed there. It should let you login within 1-2 attempts at max.
  • Leo
    Leo
    No there's no other option. For running your EVDO on Ubuntu try this.

1. If you are using XP then double click on network icon on notification area then click on properties and note dial-up number. If you are using Vista then right click on network icon select "Network And Sharing Center" click on "Status" then properties and note dial up number.
    2. Now plug your device to Ubuntu and open terminal and type

$ lsusb

you may get following type of output,

/******************************************************/
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 12d1:140b Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. <-------------------
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    /******************************************************/

the above output is for my Tata Photon+, you must get similar output with your device since it is also manufactured by Huawei Technologies. If not then let device plugged and restart your PC.

3. Click on network icon on task panel of Ubuntu, select VPN connection, then configure VPN.
    4. Now click "Mobile Broadband" Window, select Add, your device should be listed as "Huawei Technology Huawei Mobile". If not then let it plugged and restart until it gets detected. If it fails to get detected means there's some problem with your installation.
    5. Click forward and select India, then from provider list select your provider then plan and you are done, otherwise select "Can't find my provider wish to enter manually.". Type "BSNL EVDO" press forward and apply.
    6. Enter your dial-up number you got from step-1, keep username and password blank(will create null session if don't have password, always better to leave blank), from IPv4 setting select "Automatic PPP" method.
    7. Now your connection should be listed in connection list when you'll click on network icon. Select it and you are done.

Hope that solves your problem. Happy Computing.
  • Pranav Kathale
    Pranav Kathale
    The_Big_K
    Ahoy! Here's one happy uBuntu - EVDO user ๐Ÿ˜

Your device should work without any problems. I hope you've created a new connection (uBuntu will detect it anyways and make a connection for you) and provided the correct settings [#777 as number] and the default username/password.

With these settings, just logout & login again. Now check the wi-fi icon in the top menu bar - your new connection will be listed there. It should let you login within 1-2 attempts at max.
    Yup.. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ Simply love Ubuntu..
    Well Big_K, what you have written is 100% correct. Device was detected automatically. "#777", the number was also given. But it asked me for the username & password. ๐Ÿ˜” My username & password for windows is cdma. So I entered it. But still not able to connet. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Pranav Kathale
    Pranav Kathale
    @ Leo -
    The steps you mentioned are true. But all that was done automatically. At the time of ubuntu installation, I have already plugged my EVDO. So that was detected in hardware configuration.
    I have created new "Mobile connection", entered valid credentials, but not able to connect. That's the main problem. ๐Ÿ˜”
    Connection is not accepting the login details.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pranav Kathale
    Yup.. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ Simply love Ubuntu..
    Well Big_K, what you have written is 100% correct. Device was detected automatically. "#777", the number was also given. But it asked me for the username & password. ๐Ÿ˜” My username & password for windows is cdma. So I entered it. But still not able to connet. ๐Ÿ˜”
    That password should work anywhere. Where exactly are you stuck? Does the OS show any error pop-up?
  • Pranav Kathale
    Pranav Kathale
    The_Big_K
    That password should work anywhere. Where exactly are you stuck? Does the OS show any error pop-up?
    No. All is perfect.. Whenever I tries connect (or automatically by OS), I can see the 'wireless icon animation' that shows the connection is establishing. But after a minute again 'red exclamation mark' on network... that is - connection failed to connect. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Pranav Kathale
    Pranav Kathale
    Ok.. Giving you the detailed information...
    Firstly, the straight forward procedure to add new "Mobile Connection"

Step 1:
    [โ€‹IMG]

Step 2:
    [โ€‹IMG]

Step 3:
    [โ€‹IMG]

Step 4:
    [โ€‹IMG]

Step 5:
    [โ€‹IMG]

Step 6:
    [โ€‹IMG]

Now, you can see the animation which shows, it is trying to connect to the internet...

Step 7:
    [โ€‹IMG]

And here's the bad ending... Connection Failed!! ๐Ÿ˜”

Step 8:
    [โ€‹IMG]

That's what I did. Is anything more that I suppose to do?? Tell me. ๐Ÿ˜’
    I am waiting for your reply...
    โ€‹
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Darn! That's a similar error I faced for quite some time. However everything worked perfectly after some time on its own ( surprising! ) . At the moment, the suggestion I can offer is to download the uBuntu dialer from the modem manufacturer's official site or try connecting with wvdial.
  • Pranav Kathale
    Pranav Kathale
    Damn!!!
    So, it is now completely dependent on uBuntu?? ๐Ÿ˜’
    From where I can download wvdial??
    Official site for my modem - #-Link-Snipped-# which has not any software or download link, as it has inbuilt software.. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Bhrigu Roy
    Bhrigu Roy
    I use the same product, on (windows 8.1, Sony Vaio)mine was working fine up until yesterday.Now it says failed to connect as soon as i click on connect(instantaneously).this is unusual because it is working fine on other machines in my room. HELP please !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Bhrigu Roy
    his is unusual because it is working fine on other machines in my room. HELP please !
    Since it's working okay on other machines, check if your device installed any software that could affect the functionality.
  • Bhrigu Roy
    Bhrigu Roy
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Since it's working okay on other machines, check if your device installed any software that could affect the functionality.
    Not much to do with the inbuilt software.I have installed and uninstalled the s/w several times from the dongle by now to not much effect
  • DeathrageXxX
    DeathrageXxX
    hey i use evdo in windows...and i would very much like to know how do you guys connect to internet through this piece of junk.....because whwnever i try to do that it gives a message that username and password is not authenticated...... plzz help.. i bought the modem in jharkhand and i currently live in chennai...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - You will have to check if the EVDO service is available in your area. From my own experience, the EVDO service is totally unreliable in certain areas. The best way to do that would be to visit the BSNL office in your vicinity and check if you have the access. I've used the EVDO service inside Maharashtra circle in Pune and Mumbai (long ago!) and it worked 'okay'. Not sure if changing the state would keep the service on. BSNL's got its own ways of doing stuff.

All the best!
  • DeathrageXxX
    DeathrageXxX
    will try.. thnkxx for the speedy reply btw...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am giving a supply to a system where in place of U,V,W supply i am giving U,U,V supply to a system what will be the vectorial current representation of...
Hello, Every body Esp. "CE - Newbie" could you help me devloping remot controler I am A computer Science student and now I am pursuing my MSc in Prague If...
Hai friends, Recently many friends and myself involved in searching about the various exams conducted for a BE student . For example there are many ways like ,if they want...
Riddle me this: If you have a battery-powered radio, can you think of a way to use it to get a qualitative measurement of local field strength of RF? I...
just curious have anyone of our ceans worked on them?