Broadband Access, A Fundamental Right : Government of India

Indian Government within 100 days plans to float policy that establishes broadband connectivity as a basic fundamental right like education and health. The policy lists several affordable options in which broadband could be made available in remote and rural areas, including optic fiber, wireless networks and VSAT technologies. This policy shall even make spine for FTTH rollouts to create a all-time "connected society". It's in the same policy where the government wishes to establish a suitable institutional framework that lets the many departments and agencies smoothly coordinate with each other for the timely deployment and maintenance of telecom cables for speedy spread of broadband connectivity across India.

fundamental-rights

This policy was prompted following concerns from the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) that the delayed launch of NOFN (National Optic Fiber Network) could thwart the government's pan-India broadband penetration targets as laid out in the National Telecom Policy 2012 - of 175 million and 600 million users by 2017 and 2020 respectively.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think Norway and Estonia were one of the first countries in the world that backed Internet (especially broadband access) as fundamental right. I think India has taken a good step; but setting up infrastructure to provide broadband access is going to be a huge challenge.

That said, bigger challenge I think is to ensure that people have all the money to afford Internet and computers (or mobiles). It also means that we're still far-away from ensuring that people get their new 'fundamental' right.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Broad band as a fundamental rights.. A great thinking.

However per me, its too early. First government should set-up the infrastructural and educational changes so that everyone can use the Broadband.. 😁

Just imagine, in rural areas government can set-up the broadband but what if they are unaware of how to use computers and mobiles... its worthless, right?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    All this sounds a real shit to me (vehle bande, kuch dhang ka toh karna nahi)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How can you get ten horses into nine stables, one per stable? This is not some mathematical stuff, just think out of the box. Think laterally and have fun
We Indian Engineers are really proud of getting a seat in IIT. The tag we give the IITians. and the way the IIT students handle themselves in the society talks...
Read each line aloud without making any mistakes. If you make a mistake you MUST start again without going any further. This is this puzzle This is is puzzle This...
I have what remains of my Dad's old Panasonic Hi-Fi System which he used in Kuwait:- 1> 2 numbers of Super Woofers Model No.: SB-AK57 Impedance: Total 6 ohms Input:...
HUVr Tech is a tech company which claims to have developed technology that has allowed for the invention of the HUVr Board, which has presumably been patterned after the Hoverboards...