Boiler (master fuel trip)

Steam Generator ( boiler ) is very important equipment at thermal power units , Boiler is the steam supply for the unit to rotate the turbine's rotor , hence produce electricity at Generator's stator.

Boiler usually equipped with solar and Main gas firing equipments , and you can imagine that huge boiler disappear in seconds unless operator take his precaution from operation hazards., hence Boiler always equipped with a protection relays to trip the boiler out of service if hazards conditions has happened , these relays are enclosed at huge protection system is called ( Master Fuel Trip ).

From its name ( Master Fuel Trip ) , it produces trip signal for fuel systems from operation , then trip the boiler out of service away from danger. this relay needs many conditions to operate , these conditions will be found at the following figure.

#-Link-Snipped-#​
MASTER FUEL TRIP , CONDITIONS :-

1-REHEATER PROTECTION
2-DELAYED LIGHTING
3-LOSS OF ALL FUEL INPUT
4-DRUM LEVEL HI HI
5-DRUM LEVEL LOW LOW
6-ALL FD FAN STOP
7-FURNACE PRESSURE HI HI
8-CCS WATCHDOG ABNORMAL
9-COMBUSTION AIR FLOW LOW LOW
10-CONDENSER PROTECTION
11-PARTIAL LOSS OF FLAME
12-BOILER EMERGENCY TRIP
13-LOSS OF ALL FLAME
14-HP/LP BYPASS VALVE ABNORMAL CLOSE
15-ALL FUEL TRIP DELAY TRIP

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Sir, I have seen a boiler, it was very big. It is very risky to operate a boiler. A team of engineers always sits in a control room to control it.

But I have a question. Can you elaborate more on the 15 conditions of master fuel trip conditions you have just mentioned or in other words do you mean that these 15 are the ways in which boiler fails ?
  • yanivx
    yanivx
    Hiiii a cool post.... Ishan boilers as mentioned is the source of all the penumatics needed in a plant and also a source oh heat for distillation columns evaporators dryers etc...Now the point is about safety Nothing in this world can be defined 100% so is the various conditions that may result in to the failure of boilers. here in boiler Drum level control is not that easy it shows inverse effect i.e. addition of water leads to decrease in level.The flue gases( flue gas is gas that exits to the atmosphere via a flue which is a pipe or channel for conveying exhaust gases from a fireplace, oven, furnace..) are used as secondary source of energy....
    The various control that i know which i had read from a book Instrumentation Engineers handbook or bible authored by Bella.G.Liptak
    1 temperature control (by controlling the fuel flow)
    2 drum level control.
    3 pressure control.
    4 pressure head.(the minimum pressure that should be always present this uses a cascade control pressure acts as the master and the temperature acts as the slave which in turn controls the fuel flow rate
    if you go deep in to the working of a boiler the water that is converted in to steam is preheated and is then subjected to superheating that causes a faster and more economical way of getting steam.
    God bless us all 😉
  • khaled hamza
    khaled hamza
    ok ishutrope

I will explain each object of MFT , to understand the impotance of each one.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A tank is supplied by two pipes A and B and emptied by a third pipe C. If the tank is empty and all pipes are opened, the tank can...
Im doing a project of developing a CPU scheduling algorithm simulator using Java programming langauge under a Netbeans 6.9 IDE platform. Im looking for assistance in the form of java...
The Tiger, the Man and God A man was being chased by a tiger. He ran as hard as he could until he was at the edge of a cliff...
What is the difference b/w CSE and IT? How they correlate with each other..?
hello..i am completely confused about ma career... can u help??