Boeing 787 Dreamliner Battery Fire Problem

I'm bit surprised that no one's initiated a discussion on the problem that's haunting the airline industry - grounding of all the Boeing 787 Dreamliner airplanes. The problem seems to be the 'thermal runaway' - where the Li-Ion batteries produce heat because of the production of electricity and this heat further speeds up the production of electricity; forcing it into a kind-of continuous loop.

Thermal runaway seems to happen in a lot of reactions, but it's more critical in li-ion batteries being used in the 787 airplanes. Boeing's engineers focused on reducing the overall weight of the aircraft (to improve the overall fuel efficiency about 5x), and were certainly aware of the problem that might pop-up; but they ensured that there are enough backup systems in case things went wrong.

Boeing's rival Airbus is busy designing the A350, which boasts of a similar configuration as the 787, and may have an important lesson to learn from Boeing's Battery Fire Problem. What do you think can be done differently to avoid such problems?

Replies

• G.D
    G.D
    to reduce the weight 787, its body is made of Carbon-Fiber. they have ditched pneumatic system as well. central electrical system runs the control all over.
    it is the 1st time in the whole history of aviation 787 has used Li-ion batteries instead of Lead-acid because they are lighter.
    till now Li-ions were used in small sizes(mobile, laptops), they extended it for aircraft. this is the same case like laptop catching fire due to overcharging.
    hope they find some solution as quickly as possible otherwise there are high penalty clouds thundering...!!!!๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, we now have the sidebar on all the pages of CE Community. I want your ideas on what would you like to see in the sidebar. Your account photo...
I am DVSK from NIT warangal,doing my B-TECH in ELECTRICAL and ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING.
ANY ONE FROM ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING ,please guide me..
This amazingly detailed shadow dance defies imagination. Comments are superfluous:
aslmwlekum,may allah bless you all...i m just a crazy engineer," The alexander of coding "