Bloodhound SSC Cockpit Is Ready For The Big Engineering Adventure

After announcing the 10-year project of developing a supersonic car on 23 October 2008 at the Science Museum in London, RAF fighter pilot Andy Green and the team comprising of military and aerospace experts have unveiled the cockpit of bloodhound SSC. This ultra speed land vehicle, which can attain the speed of 1,000 miles per hour [≈ Speed of Earth's rotation at the equator] (1,609 km/h) is set to break the world record for land speed. The cockpit is made up of five different types of carbon fibre weave along with two different types of resins. There are three different thicknesses of aluminium core between the layers of carbon fibre in order to provide additional strength.The thickest point of the cockpit is composed of 13 layers but is 25 mm in thickness.
Bloodhound SSC
There are three main instrument panels for navigation in front of the driver's seat. The center screen measures the speed in miles per hour. It acts as an indicator when certain speeds are hit, guiding the driver when to fire boosters or when to fire the parachutes depending on the speed. The other panels are used as an indicator for the performance of engine and wheel load.The steering wheel is made from titanium to give the best ergonomic grip. It has pedals like a normal car has, right for the accelerator, left for the brakes.
Bloodhound SSC 2

The previous record of 763 mph was set by the ThrustSSC which was driven by Green.It was developed by a UK team that had Bloodhound team members .The attempt to reach 800 mph will be made by Bloodhound SSC driver Green in the South African desert in 2015. If everything goes well in 2015, a maiden attempt to reach 1,000 mph will be made in South Africa.

Source : #-Link-Snipped-#​

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Interesting and exciting !!
    Will it be useful in any sense, Not sure !! Atleast I do not think of any usage of reaching this type of feet, untill we use it in real life.

Can we have it in reality? does any road system in world supports that (except for projects)?

I doubt !!
    Meanwhile, just wondering about following
    It has pedals like a normal car has, right for the accelerator, left for the brakes.
    In US It's normal.
    However, In UK or south Africa this is not normal, Accelerator should be on left and break should be in right, right?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In case anyone of you has missed our exclusive interview with Mr. Mark Chapman, the CTO of Bloodhound SSC Project, check it out here -

Mark Chapman - Bloodhound SSC: The 1000mph Engineering Adventure
  • Gurwinder Singh
    Gurwinder Singh
    1000mph. For what? Who will go to his office on speed oh 1000mph? Why they are going to make new record?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Fellas! We are happy to announce that following are the names of - 10 lucky winners @Rachel Caroline @Basil John @Deepika Bansal @RVignesh @Neeraj Sharma @S.mukherjee @Aadit Kapoor @Chintan Umarani...
Great news for Schumacher fans. French Hospital which was treating Michael Schumacher has confirmed that the F1 champ is out of coma and has left the hospital. He'll undergo long...
I know that when we have coarse aggregates in FDT test, we should use correction formulas. But what if a very large piece of stone is found from hole, say...
Dear friends, I'm looking for ASTAM D-1556 standard for compaction tests. If you have it please share with me. thanks,
Basic Electronics: Part 1 Active and Passive Device​ Active Devices: 1. They require external source for their operation. 2. Eg: diode, transistor, zener etc 3. These devices are not capable...