Biggest Engineering Branch

Hai CEans,

Please post on the poll so that we can get an idea about the members in each engineering discipline. Hope to see your cooperation.

Caio

P.S. Please don't mind the cluster. It's due to lack of poll options. For those not listed, please post your discipline as a comment.

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    hello people, i thought this was interesting.....????????????
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes it is interesting, but I don't see how to call any branch as 'biggest'. Give us pointers so that we can form an opinion.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I voted for computer science. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I voted for Electronics and Right now it leads with 3 Votes. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    By 'biggest', I think he means to check which of the above mentioned branches of engineering have the most number of people.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Yay!!! Computer Science Rocks!!! ๐Ÿ˜ Already two people here... ๐Ÿ˜
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Computer Science-way to go๐Ÿ˜‰(I Just love it)

But I think core branches like electrical,electronics,mechanical better defines the true traditional engineering meaning.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Only 8 voters have voted... What if all the 100000+ CEans vote... ๐Ÿ˜
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Voted for Civil๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Hey guys, i really wanted to make the poll bigger, but you see that there's a limit to the poll options: ONLY 6! So i divided the branches into groups. So let's see which group get the award...

@Big K: Is there any way in which you could make this poll possibly bigger so that we can include all the branches separately and then cast our votes.

P.S. I voted for Electronics and Communication Branch. I think this branch has the highest number of members from CE. The Computer Science branch is also equally large.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Isn't CE an Engineers forum? Votes!!!!!!!!!
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    My vote for EVERGREEN MECHANICAL...๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I can give you the stats. The biggest branch (with maximum impact) I believe would be chemicals or materials engineering followed by electrical engineering (I'm not saying that because I'm an electrical engineer). I'm talking in terms of the overall impact it has on humans.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I agree to some extent, but mostly everything goes hand in hand.
    To generate electricity, we need to design machines comes under mechanical and machine design(electrical), then we need to construct poles, etc structures to transmit the power.
    And if we dont have electronics which use this power then there is no use generating it , same case with computers ๐Ÿ˜€

But everything has its own importance.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The_Big_K
    I can give you the stats. The biggest branch (with maximum impact) I believe would be chemicals or materials engineering followed by electrical engineering (I'm not saying that because I'm an electrical engineer). I'm talking in terms of the overall impact it has on humans.
    To an extent you are right

But gone are the days of large ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS we have almost every possible SMALL ELECTRONIC EQUIVALENT for every BULKY ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT

Never forget that So MY point Electronics rules the future more than other tech though NEVER INDEPENDENT of other branches
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    In our college GTU head took a seminar revolving around 'patents' & mind state of Indian Engineering students.

One ugly truth told by him - Indian Engineering students have very bad attitude towards other branch students, If a specific student is from IT, he/she will consider other branch as crap. That's among very big problem of Indian Engineering students. The day from which these students of totally different branches will start working together, helping each-other & will work in a single project together, Gujarat or let's say India will be on top of technical world. For an instant think - India is producing 60-70% of Engineers per year of Entire world.

Other Ugly truth - India is very skilled in technical things & ideas, but India surely lacks great entrepreneurs. Otherwise, Silicon valley wouldn't be located in Northern Cali. It might've been somewhere near Gujarat/Mumbai/Pune/Bangalore.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Being a not-so-active member of CE for the past 1.5 years, I have noticed lots of changes happening here. A lot has changed. But I still like it here. So here's a question I'd like to ask:

Do we have a system on CE where we can find members of our own engineering branch all together?

- If there was such a system, do let me know. If there isn't, then I'd say that its essential now. I find that a lot of the threads that are started are answered by only a very few members.

My suggestion: Each category of engineering could have a list of all the members on CE who belong to that category. This will also help the old members to realize who is left out during discussions and tag them up. An interaction is thus built.

P.S.: I don't even know how many engineers over here belong to my stream i.e. Electronics and Communication Engineering.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    A nice suggestion in the recent times we find only a few members posting here in CE specially in my branch of Electronics

In order to maintain a clear cut idea and to know other members in our stream better this suggestion here is real good
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Currently, we don't have that system. I agree it could be useful too. Usually, the members interested in any branch would check out the discussions in the section of their choice and reply. The threads will be answered by the most active members.

Let's see, what can we do on this front. Mere tagging and inviting the inactive members won't really work (we can of course give it a try). I think getting more active users is the key. I'm adding this to my to-do list.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    The_Big_K
    Mere tagging and inviting the inactive members won't really work (we can of course give it a try). I think getting more active users is the key.
    Absolutely worth a try. And it could lead to better branch wise performance too.

For example:

1>> If you are the leader/main poster/active member in Computer Science, you'd definitely get a lot of questions to answer. But what if you don't know the answer? You'd know the next computer expert to
    ask. But, that leaves just 2 of you in the question. The remaining members have no clue that someone just asked you that question.

It doesn't matter if they answered it or not, you're providing them an opportunity to visit a link which they probably would not have seen...or in some cases, even tempting them to check things out.

2>> Plus, the newbies in Computer Science would know that there are so many other Computer Science guys to ask the same question to (by just looking at the member list - which would also contain a ratio of how many posts each member has made).

3>> You could also try out a 'group tag' option eg: @ComputerScience, where the questions/posts/threads goes to all the members, and whoever wants could answer. Ofcourse everyone else on CE also gets to see it.

P.S.: Most people need that initiation to ignite. It only takes a spark to get the fire going, and soon all those around can warm up in its glowing.

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

P.P.S: There's a limit to tag only 10 members here. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    #-Link-Snipped-# Please don't feel bad. But, I feel that discussion does not warrant any replies. We require knowledge of every engineering branch. Hence all branches are equally important.

Over and Out.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I have worked out this strategy. During the course of work or while searching the net for some info out of hours, if I come across any thing which may answer a question I have looked at earlier or to create a new thread, I mail myself a reminder with a short description for later use. When I do work with CE I retrieve these and use, stashing away the reminder in a CE folder on my mail.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    @Thread title
    I am seeing this thread first time.. but what is criteria of being biggest one.
    -->number of people in that field
    -->Job security and pay-scale
    --->growth rate etc....
    Engineering is itself a branch of research and innovative ideas.I don't think it will be good to compare two streams.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Okay mate. โ˜•
    #-Link-Snipped-#: Yes, that helps you a lot. What if someone like me (who doesn't get a free internet always), comes once in a while to check things out? How would I know what has happened here?
    #-Link-Snipped-#: We all learn individually. I'm not comparing any branches, but atleast getting the idea that these many people are there in each branch would prove a better chance for interaction with the new folks on CE.

We don't really need all this if everyone participates in all the discussions. But we've by far reached or captured only a minority of the new members into the real CE family experience (or whatever some people call it).

Those with the inborn interest and talent to learn will come naturally forward and get acquainted. But what about the rest? For the growth of the forum, personal goals are not important. Each person learns from the other, and there is no big or small. When a few people keep talking, won't the others be left out - particularly if they feel they are not part of this forum? Just suggesting my views here. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyways, #-Link-Snipped-# has some plans. Awaiting his response. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    As an immediate relief: Good work #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Art & Science of Appreciation โ€‹I remember one article about various factors necessary for healthy growth of newly born babies. It said that, infants who got frequent touch of...
Hello guys! I am a second year(3rd sem) CSE guy at National Institute of Technology. I am strucked with a great dilemma, "whether to utilise my vacations for getting training...
Panasonic Toughbookยฎ H2 handheld tablet PC runs a full OS (Windows(R) 7 Professional). It has 10.1" sunlight-viewable LED screen capable of up to 6000 nit in direct sun and sealed...
Basic components of aircraft hydraulic systems and its working Read more here
Hello everyone ๐Ÿ˜€ My name is Ricardo Quirino. I'm Portuguese and I graduated last year in Civil Engineer. Currently I'm searching for a job, and boy it's really hard to...