Bicycle Mudguard Innovation: Wind It Up When Not Required!

I remember having removed the mud-guard from my bicycle just to make it look 'sporty'. Though I achieved to looks, I ended up spray painting almost everyone who rode behind me during the rainy season. How I wished we had a quickly removable mudguard! Dynamic duos - Dan McMahon and Patrick Laing have figured out a way to do it - through 'The Plume'. They've taken a different approach by creating a mudguard the winds up like your metallic tape when you don't need it. Check out following video that shows The Plume in action. It's cool!

The Plume is made from a thin yet flexible sheet of stainless steel encased in a flexible polymer. In order to install the Plume on your bike - you'll first have to remove the seat and then slide Plume's holder on to the shaft. Then install the seat again and you're good to go. This type of configuration minimises the chances of Plume getting stolen. The only restriction so far is that fatter mountain bikes have a bigger seat shafts which don't allow the Plume to grip around.

slide

It's important to note that bumps and shocks won't cause the Plume to recoil accidentally. A unit is expected to cost $35 and currently the dynamic duos are raising funds for their project on Kickstarter. Check out the project on source link below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wouldn't it be nice if people could take inspirations from such project to develop their third and final year projects?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Does sm1 know abt F-N-R gearbox...? Ppl r welcomed if sm1 intrstd to knw and discus the same...
I am trying to extract all the global symbols (with name and corresponding values) of a C code from core file (core.pid file, generated when the code crashes). This is...
Stanford engineers have succeeded in combining multiple layers of flexible materials to create a new type of pressure sensor. The final sensor is thinner than your currency note and the...
Just curious to know how may CEans are still using Windows XP and what's the main reason they haven't migrated to higher version of the operating system or switched entirely...
Samsung has admitted that the Samsung Galaxy S4 has Wi-Fi connection issue. Several users are reporting that Galaxy S4 cannot establish connection with D-Link routers. Staying connected to wireless connection...