Better heat transfer fluid other than water in power generation

Presently water (treated) is extensively used worldwide in thermal power generation .The three factors mainly in favor of water being 1) abundantly available in nature 2) can be converted in all three forms viz.liquid,gaseous, & solid. 3)heat can be stored & released as per Universal gas equation.i.e. P V = m R T. However in continuing development on fronts of Heat Transfer; there might be other fluids which may have better heat transfer properties which when used instead of water may benefit in achieving higher electrical generation for the same quantity of fluid. Also it may reduce cost of water treatment plant,auxiliary consumption, blow downs etc etc. Request to enlighten on this subject😲

Replies

• Richard O'Connor
    Richard O'Connor
    I'll have a look into this, as far as I'm aware water is the best coolant there is. Water Glycol mixtures and salt water don't conduct was well as natural or fresh water. de-ionized water may be one possible solution but I'll have to check with my engineers to make sure I'm not getting my wires crossed!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Water is safe for the environment. It is non toxic. It has high specific and latent heat. It has a low enough viscosity. It is incombustible and non hazardous. Can be recycled totally. In thermal power generation the gas side coefficients control the design. Water has high enough film coefficient.
    The cost of all other liquids as a replacement for water including all factors will be much more. As of now it is water that is the optimal choice.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The designers take utmost care for heat recovery from fuels while designing power plant equipments as well as preservation of it for maximum utilization .With advent of better heat insulation...
New Delhi: The six new Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) are set to make a radical break from tradition by doing away with the group discussion (GD) that forms a...
what is your take on the GD as a tool for selecting the students into the various management institues? check out this thread :https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum...reak-tradition-scrap-gd-round.html#post180029 is that step an effective one...
hi everyone, have you even heard about Vibration Speaker? i found them on a China wholesale site called: SpeMall.com, they're amazing! It seems a new electric product come from China,...
how many motor can be driven by atmega32?? i want to interface 7 servos with atmega32 ...how can i do so ?? shud the driver ic be used??which is best...