CrazyEngineers
  • koli
    koli

MemberJul 7, 2008

Best operating system?

What is your opinion about the best operating system for desktop/laptops ?

Basis of your opinion should be on following parameters

Reliability
    Scalability
    Ease to use
    Easy to administer
    Security
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJul 7, 2008

Don't you think each operating system is specifically designed for some special purpose. For example, Windows focuses on home user with average computer skills. Wherein, a network administrator would die for Linux based OS.

Those who want 'fancy' stuff (IMHO) go with the Mac.

I can even predict the outcome of this poll - max. people are going to vote for Red Hat. However, from a regular, home user's point of view - I vote for Windows Vista (Now, how many enemies do I have? 😁 )
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberJul 7, 2008

Indeed, it does depend on the purpose. Heck, even the Solaris OS is worth a look.

I'd love to see people's opinions, even though I predict some sort of linux distro will be common.
    Cancel
  • MaRo

MemberJul 7, 2008

The_Big_K
    I vote for Windows Vista (Now, how many enemies do I have? 😁 )
    enemies++; 😀

It's really depends on your needs, everyone has special features for variety of uses, like for me personally (I'm not a PC gamer):

- Ubuntu : less virii, stability, free, WINE reduces my visits to Windows.

- Windows XP : Sony Vegas, Adobe After Effects.

- Windows Vista : CD/DVD drive usage some cool features 😁 (like deleting files from a CD-R)

- Mac OS : feel home! You don't find everything in your home but it's comfortable anyway 😀 vote.
    Cancel
  • gohm

MemberJul 8, 2008

I use XP sadly, however I vote for linux and mac. Vista is horrible and I don't like any microsoft products.
    Cancel
  • KINETIC_JOULES

MemberJul 8, 2008

I use XP, but I do a lot of graphic design, so when it comes down to that, I use my iMac! That's originally what they were generally made for. My dad is self employed, and he does graphic designing with his iMac (we have two older models with OS X installed). He creates adds for the local news paper, and he makes decent money.
    Cancel
  • raj87verma88

MemberJul 8, 2008

I am using the Hardy Edition of Linux i.e. Ubuntu 8.04. It is a nice OS, better than the XP, only problem some of the softwares I am used to on XP don't work.
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberJul 8, 2008

Windows 2000 + XP are quite robust Microsoft OS's compared to Win 98 and Vista. Scheduled updates, virus scans and defragmenting, are enough to keep it running well. This is quite enough for a variety of uses, from beginner to advanced.

At the moment, most Linux distro's are suited towards advanced users. They are still not 'problem free' out of the box, but the community support make its up for that. Customization is also a big factor for migrating to Linux.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJul 8, 2008

[Just an observation]

No votes for Red Hat? Oh come on guys, you don't want to prove me wrong 😉
    Cancel
  • kedarjk

MemberJul 9, 2008

I think XP rocks in all manners... 😁
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberJul 9, 2008

The_Big_K
    [Just an observation]

No votes for Red Hat? Oh come on guys, you don't want to prove me wrong 😉
    Biggie, why are you specifying Red Hat? 😛 Do you mean the commercial version?

There are so many Linux distros out there. I believe the three major free distro's that have large sponsors is Fedora (Red Hat), Ubuntu (Canonical) and openSUSE (Novell).
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJul 9, 2008

ash
    Biggie, why are you specifying Red Hat? 😛 Do you mean the commercial version?

There are so many Linux distros out there. I believe the three major free distro's that have large sponsors is Fedora (Red Hat), Ubuntu (Canonical) and openSUSE (Novell).
    Ideally, Ubuntu should be there. But we don't have that option. I wonder still don't have any vote for it.

I like Ubuntu a lot. Its very good. Especially with that beryl thing { #-Link-Snipped-# } which CEan Xero introduced me to, uBuntu totally rocks!
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberJul 9, 2008

Lol, Beryl is a chocolate company in Malaysia 😛 Argh, I'm craving for it so much 😔

Thats pretty cool stuff. openSUSE has some of those windows switching effects by default too. My fav is the cube rotation one 😛
    Cancel
  • devesh

MemberJul 15, 2008

Well, XP is the best operating system as it is compatible with most of the software applications.If you are using Internet(wired or wireless),then i think XP gives the flexibilty and is easy to connect.
    For Home users XP is much much easier to underdstand and usable.
    I can also give a concern to MAC as the wireless compatibilty is THE BEST in MAC.you will not encounter any problem with your wireless connections.
    Cancel
  • Anil Jain

MemberJul 15, 2008

The_Big_K
    Ideally, Ubuntu should be there. But we don't have that option. I wonder still don't have any vote for it.

I like Ubuntu a lot. Its very good. Especially with that beryl thing { #-Link-Snipped-# } which CEan Xero introduced me to, uBuntu totally rocks!
    Here I am for RH..

Enemies++; :smile: (Vista)

Nothing cooler then Linux for me, where I can look into every file of my kernel.

Cancel
  • Mayur Pathak

MemberJul 15, 2008

I would go with Windows 2000 professional. I have used XP and vista too... but didn't find it impressive. Not tried ubuntu though.
    Cancel
  • Prasad Ajinkya

MemberJul 16, 2008

Ubuntu, straight up. Combine it with Wine and Crossover ... no need for XP 😀

If I have to pick a windows edition, its WinXP.

PS - The other has my vote.
    Cancel
  • sauravgoswami

MemberJul 16, 2008

hey m using Plan 9,its super cool,Mac OS is good too,and Windows 98,XP has been I have lived into...I can switch to MS DOS anytime
    Cancel
  • gane

MemberJul 24, 2008

i think for security purposes we can go with Red hat.. and it is opensource tooo ....... but for the PC(home) windows products are gently suitable and reliable ........
    i think you all agree with this...
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJul 24, 2008

The_Big_K
    I can even predict the outcome of this poll - max. people are going to vote for Red Hat. However, from a regular, home user's point of view - I vote for Windows Vista (Now, how many enemies do I have? 😁 )
    Why do my predictions always go wrong 😕 !

We've only 1 vote for RedHat and 6 votes for WinXP! 😲

Ubuntu should be an option!
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberJul 25, 2008

I am downloading Fedora 9 now. Going to install in on a spare laptop!

I hope I have a seamless set up compared to openSUSE 😛
    Cancel
  • sauravgoswami

MemberJul 25, 2008

well its one more flavour of LINUX and viruses in linux is increasing day by day
    Cancel
  • night crawler

MemberJul 26, 2008

well xp is the best among ms os , havent tried any linux though. vista is a loser.
    Cancel
  • sauravgoswami

MemberJul 26, 2008

buddy,vista is one of the highly protected OS available today
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorJul 26, 2008

I've been using Vista for over 1.5 years and its doing a good job on my lappy. I haven't had any virus attacks so far.
    Cancel
  • Itanium

MemberAug 2, 2008

love Linux (particularly) RedHat !
    Cancel
  • bayazidahmed

MemberAug 12, 2008

In my reading,

Reliability: Mac/Linux, Vista, XP (All are pretty close)
    Scalability: XP (All the others lag far behind)
    Ease to use: Vista, XP, Mac, Linux
    Easy to administer: Windows XP, Vista/Mac, Linux (Huge difference between them)
    Security: Vista/Mac/Linux, XP

Overall for an average user: Vista
    Cancel
  • Rakesh Nayak

MemberOct 5, 2008

XP is the best operating system why?
    1.Any operating system you need speed first.No one can have
    better speed then xp.
    2.versitility-you need to have an os which can run most of the softwares.XP
    beats others in this aspect.
    Cancel
  • YourTechMate

MemberOct 19, 2008

Windows XP rocks. The stability, the ease of operation, the looks, the performance, the COMPATIBILITY (vista fails to perform here), The speed to boot up and shut down, speed to read a CD(Vista fails to perform here too) ...this can only be found at Windows XP..no where else.
    Cancel
  • Harshad Italiya

MemberOct 21, 2008

What you say about windows ME?
    Cancel
  • krishniha

MemberOct 21, 2008

Old Is Gold
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register