Best foreign language for engineers?

Which is considered as the best foreign language for engineers to learn, to facilitate faster communication(i'm an ECE student)...!!!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I suppose you mean other than English. Somehow English seems to have usurped the throne of Engineering studies in India and is not considered a foreign language, which it is.
    Depends on where you want to work. Japanese, German, French and possibly Chinese.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    yes, English is rather not considered as a foreign language at all...! but,perhaps it is....! lol...! 😀
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    and sir pls answer my other thread too in which i asked a query about turbines...! I hope u clarify it....! ..!
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    bioramani
    I suppose you mean other than English. Somehow English ... is not considered a foreign language, ...
    We lazy, English-only speakers are always glad to hear that. 😀

Off and on, I've attempted to learn to read Chinese. China already produce a huge percentage of the world's technical goods and they're not just copying any more. They're doing research and designing new stuff. That means more and more technical documentation is being written in Chinese first and translated to English second. Already, I've encountered situations where I found Chinese documentation or data sheets before I found what I needed in English. I expect it will be increasingly helpful to be able to read Chinese.

Here's an interesting detail for you. There are from 6 to 20 spoken languages in China (depending on how you separate languages and dialects). But there is only ONE written language! I'm told that two people who can't understand a word that the other is saying can easily read the same text. I find that flabbergasting.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yesterday i was downloading a mechanical design software from the net. But then a dialogue box appeared saying that the software required around 320 Mb , while i had only...
frnz ,plz do suggest me sum useful projects and their detials....
Guys, what's so special about Differential of Hummer? I heard that it locks when it gets into mud. but want a detailed information about it. can anyone provide it?
why do we use diesel externally in a compression engine unlike fuel air mixture in petrol engine??
nothing about me....!!!!!!!!