Barrier Potential of PN junction diode

Determination of Barrier Potential V0 in p-n junction

Or

Contact difference V0 in p-njunction

Or

Boltzmann Relationship

(Asked many a times in exams)

1. Consider a p-type of semiconductors with non-uniform concentration(graded)i.e. there exist a concentration gradient.

2. Let the bar be open circuited. Therefore total current because of hole is zero.

Jp = Jpdrift +Jpdiff……………………………….(drift current and diffusion current)

pqµpE = qDp (dp/dx);

Thus, E=(1/p)(Dp/µp)(dp/dx);

According to Einstein Relationship

(Dp/µp)=VT =volt equivalent of temperature

E= (1/p) VT (dp/dx);

- (dv/dx) = (1/p) VT (dp/dx);

dv = - (VT/p) dp
Integrating on both sides:
barrier_potential

Now consider a p-n junction bar whose half side is doped with accepter impurity causing p-type material and other half is doped with donar impurity causing n-type material.

[​IMG] on p-side, p1=pp =NA= Accceptor ion concentration……..eqn 3

Similarly on n-side, nn = ND

pn = ni2 / ND

and we have p2= pn = ni2 / ND ……….eqn 4

V21 is the potential existing across the junction which can be identified as the barrier potential denoted by V0

Put 3 and 4 in eqn 1, we get
barrier_2

[​IMG]

Thus this is the expression for barrier potential

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Afolayan Oluwaseyi is my name. A computer engineering final year student in Nigeria. Nice being a member of this community.
How much placement possibility in the course of DIVESD (vlsi embedded system) at CDAC centres? Will all centre be eligible in pune placement drives? what is placement criteria i means...
is it possible to delete file that cant be recover by any recovery software?? i hear that when people sold their mobiles they reset factory setting,but till data can be...
Im interested in doing a project on the topic 'Wireless Wearable heart attack detector'.which is useful for heart patient and in which i want to include different sensors like heart...
🎉hi im santhosh ...ce engineers ...i come to know ce wepsite is totally used by good and experinced engineers ....and also interested engineers ...so i also eager to develop my...