Ban "Music containing lyrics that glorify violent and criminal lifestyle"?

Debates over the content and censorship of these forms of media have become increasingly prominent as mass production and communication technologies have enabled books, songs and images to be circulated to ever wider audiences.

During the last two decades, the musical genre known as hip hop has found itself at the forefront of this debate.

We expect fans of an art form that is subjected to public criticism and vilification to leap to its defence. Some of these aficionados- whether the medium in question is cinema, fine art or pop music- make the case for the value of their favourite mode of expression by overstating its positive effects. Hip hop has long been the focus of controversies surrounding violent music. Hip hop is closely associated with low-level criminality, as noted above. A number of highly successful hip hop artists have been attacked or killed as a result of feuds within the industry and links between managers, promoters and criminal gangs.

But the crime and deviance existed in marginalized communities long before the creation of pop music or hip hop. Side proposition is attempting to claim that a particular genre of hip hop is harming efforts to improve living standards and social cohesion within these communities. Many of the problems associated with poor socialization and a lack of social mobility in inner city areas can be linked to the closed, isolated nature of these communities, as the proposition comments correctly observe. However, these problems can be traced to a lack of positive engagement between these young people and wider society.

What do you think?

Replies

• yorha 2b
    yorha 2b
    Imma elaborate every mis-conception about hiphop !

Hip-Hop isn't just music, it is also a spiritual movement of the blacks! You can't just call Hip-Hop a trend.
    Hip-hop reflects the truth, and the problem is that hip-hop exposes a lot of the negative truth that society tries to conceal. It's a platform where we could offer information, but it's also an escape.
    Hip-hop has always been controversial, and for good reason. When you watch a children's show and they've got a muppet rapping about the alphabet, it's cool, but it's not really hip-hop. The music is meant to be provocative - which doesn't mean it's necessarily obnoxious, but it is (mostly) confrontational, and more than that, it's dense with multiple meanings. Great rap should have all kinds of unresolved layers that you don't necessarily figure out the first time you listen to it. Instead itplants dissonance in your head. You can enjoy a song that knocks in the club or has witty punch lines the first time you hear it. But great rap retains mystery. It leaves shit rattling around in your head that won't make sense till the fifth or sixth time through. It challenges you.
    Which is the other reason hip-hop is controversial: People don't bother trying to get it. The problem isn't in the rap or the rapper or the culture. The problem is that so many people don't even know how to listen to the music.
    & as ur title says Ban "Music containing lyrics that glorify violent and criminal lifestyle"?
    Food for thought :: It CANT be banned !! Reason ?? There are 100s of Underground rappers who are not making music for money or fame .... they are making music to bring revolution & bring unity/ equality all over globe.
    The so called "Violent music" you hear are by Mainstream rappers who are thirsty for money & fame & that's not real hiphop.
    When it comes to Feud & murdering ... its conspiracy theory, the so-called NWO or Illuminati is tryna hide the real truth which underground rappers brings out in their music with bit of sour words.
    For a moment ... just google "Hiphop & illuminati within" u will get very much detail of why 2pac, Biggie were murdered !
    & last :: Eminem, lil wayne, Drake, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, Kid cudi, Wiz khalifa etc are not real rappers they are just ruining hiphop for sake of fame & money.
    For an instance listen to : Immortal technique, Krs-one, A tribe called quest, Kendrick lamar ,Hopsin, Nas etc. & you will understand what real Hiphop is ! Its not just about violence/gang fights ... its way too deep than u r thinking 😀
    You really broke my heart ,mam when u said hiphop brings violence & low-level criminality ... & about banning it :/ 😔​
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    First four paragraph explanation was freaking deep brother !
    Hiphop, Illuminati blah blah ... I accept.
    But don't you say that Eminem is whack, rest others can stay in your whack-list. Next time say "Eminem is whack" & Imma knock your face with my troll-fist !!

PS : We are brothers (brothers from another mother .. in-short cousins)He is one who pulled me in CE & then he disappeared from this community, we have some similarities rest others are ideology-conflicts.

Anyways, wrote above statement just so CEans don't think me as if I am flaming on him.
    I think he is very less active in CE, I will try to get him back .... I assume he don't know, how awesome CE is "now" ! (Off-topic, Pardon me)
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    I would say ban the human beings who don't have brain of self to think & distinguish what's wrong & what's right.

You listen "Kill the muthafucker if they hurt you" and go to kill the person, then I would seriously doubt your existence in human community.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Humans have their own minds and hearts some take the words to their hearts and turn violent. I term these people as Jerks in the form of humans They don't heve the right to listen to music at all.

Kindly use music as a form of entertainment and not as addiction tools that can ruin your career if you are addicted to strange lines and want those lines to happen in your life Really sick of people who are like that 😖😡
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've never understood why have non family-friendly stuff. I continue to believe that 'adult' stuff shouldn't be in the public media because there's no control over who gets access to it. I still remember and love the serials that used to be aired on DD national television decades ago. Those serials offered great entertainment for whole family.

I might be called 'old fashioned', 'uncool' and 'non open minded'. People aren't wise enough to decide what's good and what's not good, what they should accept and what they should reject. It's foolish to expect youngsters and teens to decide what's right and what's wrong because they're all influenced by the surroundings. It's an unfortunate state we're all a part of.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As we know in trim fixture for cutting parts vacuum is used to hold the part, but i want to know how much area is sufficient or how we decide...
i want to do a innovative project based on ARM. any ideas pls...
hiiii my name is dheeraj i am from chandigarh now i am doing b.tech in e.c.e from chandigarh thank you
I want to design a remote control blob for my home. This is one of my hobby projects. Could someone share a circuit diagram for the same? How do we...
i'm shaileja ram i'm a student of raisoni institue pursuing BE in electrical now in final yr. i like to sing and watch movies.