Automobile: why dont a differential is used in three wheelers

why dont a differential is used in three wheelers?????
i have seen many autos in which no differetial is used just a bevel gear assembly is used which trasmits power to the two wheels at 90 degrees.

Replies

• ranvir1986
    ranvir1986
    There is of course a differential but not in the conventional form. only one of the rear wheels gets power from the engine. The other one is free to rotate. that makes them independent of one another and thus taking turns is no problem. The same applies to cycle rickshaws.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    There is a different principal here. One of the rear wheel is free to rotate and the other is driven by the engine. So both the wheel rotate at the required respective RPM while cornering.
  • Sachintha Lenawala
    Sachintha Lenawala
    I am a third year student and i am doing an individual project of three wheeler,
    My project mainly based on a used three wheeler which has two stroke engine. I have to remove the engine and place a proper motor, differential shaft to the rear part of that three wheeler. I have no idea about that, Can any body please help me...
  • Sachintha Lenawala
    Sachintha Lenawala
    I am a third year student and i am doing an individual project of three wheeler,
    My project mainly based on an used three wheeler which has two stroke engine. I have to remove the engine and place a proper motor & differential shaft to the rear part of that three wheeler. I have no idea about that, Can any body please help me...
  • msuresh444
    msuresh444
    Sachintha Lenawala
    My project mainly based on an used three wheeler which has two stroke engine. I have to remove the engine and place a proper motor & differential shaft to the rear part of that three wheeler. I have no idea about that, Can any body please help me...
    what exactly is your project??what ideas you have??
  • Sachintha Lenawala
    Sachintha Lenawala
    msuresh444
    what exactly is your project??what ideas you have??
    Design and fabrication and testing of differential gear unit for an electrical three wheeler ..
    1. understanding of the traction torque characteristics in different driving conditions
    2. understand the traction motor characteristics
    3. design of the compatible coupling (differential unit)

I have been provided an old three wheeler which running from two stroke engine. But it doesn't in the running conditions. So my supervisor asked me to remove the engine and replace a suitable motor and make a electrical three wheeler. Actually my target should be calculate and fabricate proper differential shaft. Although select a proper traction motor to run the electrical three wheeler.
  • msuresh444
    msuresh444
    Sachintha Lenawala
    Design and fabrication and testing of differential gear unit for an electrical three wheeler ..
    1. understanding of the traction torque characteristics in different driving conditions
    2. understand the traction motor characteristics
    3. design of the compatible coupling (differential unit)

I have been provided an old three wheeler which running from two stroke engine. But it doesn't in the running conditions. So my supervisor asked me to remove the engine and replace a suitable motor and make a electrical three wheeler. Actually my target should be calculate and fabricate proper differential shaft. Although select a proper traction motor to run the electrical three wheeler.
    Challenging project!
    You should calculate on the torque requirements of the 3-wheeler. Try finding gear ratios/design of Tata Ace or similar pick-ups. You could reassemble the differential of similar vehicle and mate with an electric traction motor (DC Motor). I think traction motor is a bit costly affair.
    Basically, designing/fabricating a differential system is way too complicated and technical knowledge is required. You study thoroughly the existing systems in vehicles (Light Commercial Vehicles) as a start-off.
    Good Luck!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

:smile:Hellow, everyone! how are you? I'm Tapon paul, the newest member of this forum. I was a student of Khulna University of Engineering & Technology for the last 4 years....
😛Hi CEs, Can anyone tell me how i can interface an external device with PC using Matlab? 😕Suppose i want to generate a square wave of any amplitude and any...
Hi all, I have some pcb file which was created by using higher version of allegro(allegro 15.7). i want to open it on lower version.i.e allegro 15.2. please help me...
Using the same on Windows. Seems alright from where I am standing 😀
Programming Tutorials: Articles, tutorials and resources for programmers! Hi people, Check out this site for a lot of good resources. I StumbledUpon this site.