AUTOMATIC CRACK DETECTION IN RAILWAY TRACKS USING SENSORS

Project Abstract / Summary : The 60% of accidents in railways are due to track problems which lead to derailment. This project presents the system for automatic crack detection in railway tracks. This project can help to detect the cracks or breakages in railway tracks if any before the train passes and the alert signal is sent to the train operator and the power line is tripped off immediately. The automatic crack detection system is constructed using vibration sensors and MEMS technology. Vibration sensor is used to detect the crack which has speed response to vibrations. MEMS are used to detect the track deviations and dislocations. MEMS is Micro Electro Mechanical System that combines electrical and mechanical components.In this project MEMS are used to check the status of the railway tracks and RF modules are used to transmit and receive the signal. PIC micro controller is used to compare the input signals with threshold value at transmitter side. MMIC (Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit) is used for continuous monitoring of MEMS. This project is cost effective and simple.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : The 60% of accidents in railways are due to track problems which lead to derailment.Derailment problem often result in loss of human lives and damage to property. To prevent such kind of accidents we chose to work on this project topic.

Project Category : Electrical / Electronics / Communication
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: Easwari Engineering College
City: Chennai
State: Tamilnadu
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

• shafi ca
    shafi ca
    Any detiled report of these project
  • Shashank Kharade
    Shashank Kharade

Please share some more information like components, circuit diagram, source code, etc

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

What is the mechanism of detection? The track is constructed from discrete lengths of rails. Does it mean that there will be a sensor for each piece of rail? If so considering the total track length of Indian railways millions of sensors will be needed along with associated electronics and their power supply.

Or am I missing something important?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am doing m.tech in the field of internet secuirty and cyber forensics and i am in my final year..what to do after my course?which part would give me more...
Project Abstract / Summary : Introduction: In present days Escalators are extensively needed and used because of aggressively emerging multi floor buildings, apartments, Industries, public sector constructions etc. Lots of...
Project Abstract / Summary : In Mist areas, the driver in vehicles can not see the vehicles at front. This project is developed for vehicles accident alert in mist areas....
Project Abstract / Summary : The main problem that our environment faces today is pollution,mainly in the industrial areas.our project focuses on this issue... We monitor the important pollutants in...
Project Abstract / Summary : The slitting process of adhesive tape implies slitting (cutting) by the slitting cutter. After a specific interval of time i.e. after being used (for cutting),...