Ask Questions To Mr. Marty Cooper: Inventor Of Mobile Phones

Official Announcement: #-Link-Snipped-#

CEans,

Here's your ONCE IN LIFETIME, GOLDEN opportunity to ask questions to the one & only Mr. Martin Cooper - the inventor of Mobile Phone! Yep, he is the engineer who is responsible for that super useful electronic gadget in your pocket!

We are super happy & excited to have Mr. Martin Cooper to answer your questions on CE Forums.

About Mr. Cooper: -

Martin Cooper (born December 26, 1928 in Chicago, Illinois, USA) is a former Motorola vice president and division manager who in the 1970s led the team that developed the handheld mobile phone. Cooper is the CEO and founder of ArrayComm, a company that works on researching smart antenna technology and improving wireless networks, and was the corporate director of Research and Development for Motorola.
[โ€‹IMG]
Credit: Wikipedia

How to ask questions to Mr. Cooper: -

1. Think of a question you'd like Mr. Cooper to answer about his work, early days of cell phone development, his current work on smart antenna technology or anything else.

2. We'll pick up the top questions [ about 10-12] and present them to Mr. Cooper. We'll publish Mr. Cooper's responses in our Small Talk. The names of CEans who've asked the question will appear in the Small Talk.

The last date of asking your questions is August 31, 2010.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    [FONT=Geneva, Arial][SIZE=-1][FONT=Geneva, Arial][SIZE=-1] 1) The idea of using phones while in mobility must have seemed bizarre when it first came. What made you think of developing this technology?

2) We have heard that Martin Cooper was the first person to make a call on a portable cell phone in April 1973. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Geneva, Arial][SIZE=-1][FONT=Geneva, Arial][SIZE=-1]They say he made it to his rival, Joel Engel, Bell Labs head of research. Is it true?

3) [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]ArrayComm's core 'adaptive antenna technology' increases the capacity and coverage of any cellular system, while significantly lowering costs and making speech more reliable. Is this technology as reliable or affordable as wired telephony?

4) Where do you see the future of Cellular telephony?
    [FONT=Geneva, Arial][SIZE=-1][FONT=Geneva, Arial][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    1, what technology avaible then made you think" yes! this is diffcult but not impossible:
    2.the technology eveloved since then fitting UMTS, 3G , WCDMA so on.. and thus a exponential increase in capacity. What were your intial estimates?
    3what were the intial techniques that were implmeneted right form data modulation to demodulation
    4.In a time where phone was considered" no one needs phone", what inspired people to buy mobile phone??
  • manishks
    manishks
    1)What made you think that you can develop something which has thoroughly changed the lifestyles of people of the planet?
    2)What was your prime motive while developing this technology?
    3)How did you approach toward developing this technology?
    4)You were a part of Motorola team when you made efforts towards achieving this feat. Today the world is flooded with so many cellphones supporting so many technologies. Which phone you currently possess? And what are the latest developments in this field which you would appreciate the most?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    1:-Since technology is evolving day by day, what you see after 2020 regarding usage of mobiles?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow, really good questions ๐Ÿ˜€ Keep them coming folks ๐Ÿ˜
  • Shruthi.S.D
    Shruthi.S.D
    What is smart antenna technology? How does it works? Is Cell phone is after 10 years ?
  • developer
    developer
    1.Was the wireless range and weight of device any consideration in initial research?
    2.Did you expect these many multifunctional uses(internet, value added services...) of mobile phones in under four decades time?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ developer : very nice questions!
  • satish_kumar
    satish_kumar
    i think at the time of invention of mobile phone there was technology where the receiving units are mounted on the vehicles and how to do you make a device which is handheld and decreased drastically the equipment and how did u minimized and which technology you have adopted for achieving this?
  • vinvino
    vinvino
    Hello Sir,

Currently, I am doing project for saving the petrol in a country in an innovative way. I need your advice for designing a transmitter section of a mobile phone. We all know, mobile phone is basically designed for talking to a person, but i am interested in transmitting a particular value through mobile network. Is it possible to use a transmitter section of a mobile phone to send the data. i am a student and i need your advice. Currently, i am doing this idea with a broken nokia mobile phone( to see the transmitting section alone...!)

Expecting ur reply
    regards
    Vinod Kumar S
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Vinod Kumar S: Do you (seriously) want Mr. Cooper to help you with your project?
  • Ankitbhardwaj
    Ankitbhardwaj
    MR Cooper,i am Ankit hardwaj an E7C engineer from India,i woul;d like to ask that apart from the Accesing Technlogical diffrence between CDMA & GSM,what is the Hardware change and difference between a CDMA mobile device and GSm mobile device.?

I would be highly obliged if you could pls answer my query.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ankitbhardwaj
    MR Cooper,i am Ankit hardwaj an E7C engineer from India,i woul;d like to ask that apart from the Accesing Technlogical diffrence between CDMA & GSM,what is the Hardware change and difference between a CDMA mobile device and GSm mobile device.?

I would be highly obliged if you could pls answer my query.
    You certainly don't need Mr. Cooper to answer that basic question. Even if you search online or read text-books, you'll find the answer, won't you?
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    At the time of Research which type of major Hurdles you faced ?
  • bohar
    bohar
    1)can new technology change or replace the existing technology of mobile?
    2) what can be new feature in smart antena technology?
  • Ankitbhardwaj
    Ankitbhardwaj
    Mr Cooper,A mobile device doesnot have a CPU or a microprocessor then how Bits are Interleaved before transmission by the Interleaver please explain.?Is there any specific algorithm and if there is then how is it implemented?
  • cronus
    cronus
    what opinion brought it to your mind to invent cell phone?Did you know it would be one of the greatest inventions in the world when you were inviting it initially?
    And how can we sure what must we invent at first for the humanity now, how can we notice what is the greatest lack in technology?
  • manishks
    manishks
    Hope you dont find it humorous!!:smile: But I would like to say that even I dream to develop a software that stands out of the league. I hope you share some of your thoughts on what a student should keep in mind while starting a new project. I am sure that every aspiring mind who uses CRAZYENGINEERS.com would be greatly benefited by that.:smile:
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Questions:

1.The technology is advancing and 3G is slowly grabbing the pace,did you ever thought that one day your principle for the basic cell phone will go that high?

2.Before it came,Cell phones must be a dream for everyone,but you made it real and now it is one of the most used technology,how do you feel about it?
  • gbirajadar
    gbirajadar
    I am the student of ME Signal Processing. I wanted to go for project & seminar related to research work.So as per your valuable guidance what would be the most suitable area for me to work.
    Thank in advance.
  • m.abiraami
    m.abiraami
    1)what was the important thing available on that time to invent celllar phone?
    2)what was the negative&positive response you get while introducing this wonderful device?
    3)did you get support from the government for introdducing this deviced?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gbirajadar
    I am the student of ME Signal Processing. I wanted to go for project & seminar related to research work.So as per your valuable guidance what would be the most suitable area for me to work.
    Thank in advance.
    Really? ๐Ÿ˜”
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    1] ur invention of a cell phone was a breakthrough innovation at that time, something not many people would have thought was possible. Today the cell phone technology has matured a lot. Do you see any similar breakthrough innovation coming up in this field that would again change the way we communicate ?

or

2] these days, the originally intended mobile device is being clubbed with smart computers and sold into the market (iPhone for example). Mobile telephony is not the same it was during early days of its innovation.Where does this new trend lead to ?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    These are my questions to Mr. Cooper.
    1)Do you think, by any virtue, something else, a new technology, an innovation, an invention can replace mobile phones just like the pager was replaced once upon a time?
    2)How have you contributed in minimizing (and also eliminating) the physical(and other) ill effects of using the mobile phone?
  • amita raj
    amita raj
    1. mobile phone act as transceiver... how could u incorporate them into one entity called the mobile phone?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thank you everyone for your curious questions. Today is the last day of asking some more.

I would like all of you to see the following Video of Mr. Martin Cooper who tells "The Communicators" about the current state of the wireless industry.

Martin Cooper (Age 81) is rebellious, humble, analytical and curious. There is a lot we all engineers could learn from him.

You surely don't want to miss this one:
    [video=youtube;1CZ4oLw58ek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CZ4oLw58ek[/video]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: This thread is closing in next few (~3) hours. If you have any questions you want us to ask Mr. Cooper, 'NOW' is the time.
  • HRG
    HRG
    My question to Mr. Marty Cooper is:

Will the world reveal the "Super mobile" like that of the "Super computer" .
    if so what will be the interesting features!!!?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mobile applications are quickly becoming a part of daily life for consumers and businesses -- and SAP is taking notice. SAP end users want SAP mobile applications that handle work...
This has happened to all of us. We click the send button, and in a moment realize that we sent it to the wrong person! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ eek! And now there...
I'm totally new to GPS and I've my first phone that's aGPS enabled ๐Ÿ˜› , so pardon my ignorance. I'm trying to get Google Earth / Maps working on Samsung...
Indian researcher, Hari Prasad, one of the team members who had exposed the ways the electronic voting machines of India can be tampered is arrested. The arrest of the researcher,...
Scientist are developing a computer which works on human thinking. This new technology by Intel enables computer users to search on Internet simply just by their thoughts.If it does then...