Ask questions to co-founder of Zattoo, one of world's first commercial IPTV on CE!

Hello CEans,

It takes me great pleasure in announcing that Sugih Jamin, Chairman, CTO and co-founder of Zattoo, world's first commercial IPTV has agreed to have a small talk with us.

Zattoo is a proprietary peer-to-peer Internet Protocol Television system ("P2PTV") with current focus on European channels, licensed content, and Digital Rights Management. It is developed by researchers and programmers from university of Michigan based out of Ann Arbor, Michigan, with corporate offices in San Francisco and Zurich. Within a very short span of time, Zattoo will soon be touching 2 million users across Europe. Check Following links for more information-

Zattoo - Wikipedia
#-Link-Snipped-#
Zattoo - TV Streaming

Sugih's Introduction as taken from his websites-
"Sugih is an Associate Professor of computer science at the University of Michigan, and possesses more than 16 years experience in Internet measurement, protocol, and infrastructure design and deployment. He has supervised five PhD dissertations in these areas.

His interest lies in building protocols, architectures, mechanisms to support new uses of computer networks, and to measure, study, and characterize Internet topology and traffic.

Previously, Sugih served as a visiting Professor at the University of Tokyo as well as at the University of Cambridge. He has also worked at the Xerox PARC. He has earned numerous awards including the Sloan Foundation Fellowship, the NSF CAREER Award, and the White House Presidential Award."

We are lucky to have him answer our questions. I urge all my fellow CEans to reply to this post and/or send your questionnaire regarding Sugih's contribution to IPTV, Zattoo and any thing that you would wish to know.

Await your replies.

Replies

• Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Re: Ask questions to co-founder of Zattoo, one of world's first commercial IPTV on CE

I Forgot to mention, you need to respond to this post by 2nd April 2008 so that we can send the questions by 4th.

Hurry CEans, rush your entries!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: Ask questions to co-founder of Zattoo, one of world's first commercial IPTV on CE

CEan - Technospartan asked -

Sir what are the diffculties involved with an internert protocol television & what scope does it have?
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx

How is Zattoo different from the other internet TV providers?

And what measures has the company taken to tackle piracy? Do you think those methods are 100% secure?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

My question -

"What does 'Zattoo' stand for?"

I like the name ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak

Hey,

Thanks for your questions xHx, Biggie and technospartan.

I just want to add one correction. Zattoo is not an Internet TV. Its IPTV, basic difference being it uses a dedicated line for streaming and broadcasting the videos from the channels.

I'm sure Sugih will be able to answer this is more detail.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

Q: Will they air live content, like sports matches? For example, only a few channels bother to air live NBA basketball matches and even less on the European league, which makes it hard for basketball fans like me who are unable to watch them if the channel subscriptions are not available. However, internet access is everywhere!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

ash
    Q: Will they air live content, like sports matches? For example, only a few channels bother to air live NBA basketball matches and even less on the European league, which makes it hard for basketball fans like me who are unable to watch them if the channel subscriptions are not available. However, internet access is everywhere!
    That's a good question.

Probably, we should also ask them about the challenges they faced while developing the ipTV.
  • friendster7
    friendster7

Sir, Is their any plan to launch Zattoo in India?
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx

OOhh, I didnt know that! Thanks for clearing it. There is a diff between, Internet streaming and IPTV. In my house I have a [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Linux-based IPTV STB (Internet protocol TV set-top box) by Kreatel (now aquired by Motorola)

So, my Q is:

What are your views on adopting
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]IPTV set-top boxes instead of PC based? In your view what are the pro's and con's for each system?

Anyway, for those who are interested: #-Link-Snipped-#
    [/FONT]
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak

Good Questions Keep them coming...

By the way, Zattoo is capable of broadcasting live videos. I read a blog some where poiting out that a person effortlessly watched Zattoo sitting in a TGV (a train in switzerland travelling at 300 kmph)

Cool!
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya

Awesome ...
    1. How is IPTV and P2PTV different?
    2. Can I have video on demand from P2PTV? Or will the requester have to wait for the host to come online?
    3. How do you propose to get around the DRM issue?
    4. Could you give us a small idea about the kind of infrastructure involved in setting up such a service? I am specifically asking about the hosting environment, server farm configuration, backend used, data backups employed, analytics engine used (collaborative filtering, et al), front end platform being utilized

Thats it for now. Can we post some more later, or is the deadline set for today?
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak

Yeah deadline was for today, but you can keep them coming till April 4. As we would be sending this questions in the Pacific time, we have the entire day even on the dead line.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak

Questions have been sent and this thread is now closed for posting.

Biggie can you do that?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

CEans, Dr. Sugih Jamin has answered our questions and the Small Talk is now live on CrazyEngineers! Check it out here -

CrazyEngineers

๐Ÿ˜
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

cool! But, what happened to the 1st of each month interview cycle? I guess we have too many good interviews coming up ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

ash
    cool! But, what happened to the 1st of each month interview cycle? I guess we have too many good interviews coming up ๐Ÿ˜›
    Let's see how this works out. Otherwise we'll have to go back to the 1 month interview cycle :sshhh:

I'd like to tell everyone that Dr. Jamin considered our request and answered our questions while he was on vacation!

I thank him on behalf of the CrazyEngineers community.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm a 4th year student in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, option of Telecommmunication. I'm really need a good idea for my final year project. Please if you have any idea...
Hie.... i need some study material regarding "fault detection using wavelets-theoretical aspects"... pls giv me d material r any links if u can.. waiting 4 ur rply.....
any body knows how the load balancing can be performed in distributed environment by RMI technology:sshhh::sshhh:
Hi All, I m B.Tech in CS [Text to be kept private removed ] I want to do something gr8 but here m not getting enough opportunities.I m planning to...
this is a new idea i got how about having a trash section..where we can dump the unwanted post and delete it every month..what do u guys say?