ARM promises dual-core Cortex A9-based smartphones next year

#-Link-Snipped-#
The world's two most visually engaging smartphones -- the #-Link-Snipped-# and the #-Link-Snipped-# -- share very similar cores based on ARM's Cortex A8 architecture, and with the newer, more advanced Cortex A9 in the pipeline, you can't help but let your mind wander a bit as you envision what twice as much computational power could bring to a handset. The A9 employs more advanced instruction pipelining than its predecessor, but the biggest news has to be the fact that it can pack two or more cores -- and ARM fully expects dual-core A9-based phones to hit in 2010. Of course, power consumption is the biggest constraint when it comes to this category of device, and while the company says that peak drain will exceed that on today's crop of devices, average consumption will actually drop thanks largely to a move from 65nm to 45nm manufacturing processes. Add in #-Link-Snipped-# wrapped around an A9 core, and you've basically got a home theater in your pocket that's ready to rock for a few hours on a charge. That and Snoop Dogg, of course.Filed under: #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-# originally appeared on Engadget | Technology News & Reviews on Tue, 16 Jun 2009 05:31:00 EST. Please see our #-Link-Snipped-#.

#-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ashwin Kala
    Ashwin Kala
    Check out my smartphone blog

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear All Members; A.S.H.A.R.E fundamentals 2009 is the latest version of A.S.H.A.R.E fundamentals series You can download it free from here: HVAC DESIGN TOOLS|HVAC TRAINING
Folks, Have a look at the latest from Opera folks - Opera Unite What do you think about it?
I need some e-books about of DVB-T/T2?
I think all recent engineering graduates should read this article by Pamela Slim. Open letter to recent college graduates | Escape From Cubicle Nation We interviewed Pamela Slim on CrazyEngineers....
Development of an artificial simulator of the nervous system to do research into diseases Researchers of the University of Granada have developed a simulator, so-called EDLUT ('Event driven look up...