Are the candidates who saw leaked CAT 2010 results unethical?

CAT 2010 Results will be officially announced on January 12, 2011. However, the results were accidentally made available on the CAT official website for a brief period of time. Few candidates got access to the website and saw their scorecards. This has upset the CAT organizers.

I stumbled upon following article by Pagalguy - India's leading portal for MBA aspirants: #-Link-Snipped-#

Quoting from the article, Prof Himanshu Rai said -
“This has shown them in a bad light as people. They are certainly not the kind of people IIMs would like to have in their institutes and definitely not the kind of leaders we are looking forward to make in the future,”
In my opinion, if the results were made available on the site, then there is no question of candidates being unethical that they saw the results. Candidates are obviously curious and if the results were publicly available then why should the convener question candidates ethics?

Voice your opinion in this thread.

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    it looks like this happened when the authorities were in the process of testing out the process of uploading results.
    i got the picture of the score card when going through some other person's blog. it was like this:
    [​IMG]
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i don't think it puts them in "bad light". they were just curious to see what was there. the authorities should have taken some precautions while doing these testing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I forgot to highlight that the candidates did not hack the site.
  • suyash
    suyash
    I am simply amazed at how the designation of CAT Convener simply degrades "intelligent" professors from IIMs to shambles and gives them the ability to stun the world with their illogical brains !!

CBT CAT 09 - Evaluation and Ranking and I thought that CAT 2010 was comparatively well managed - (apart from a few "incorrect" questions that kept popping up here and there in almost all slots, but of course they have been handled "psycometrically" by these brilliant people - is it ethical to allow wrong questions in an exam in the first place, Mr Rai ?), but then they had to mess it up with results.

Instead of admitting a security leak by keeping the page - scorecard.catiim.in as open on the "free" internet, this guy goes on to say that it was unethical for students to visit the website and check their results. Either this guy is super genius and never had curiosity about any of his exams' results or half of the CAT aspirants are unethical, as he points out !!

I have a few questions for Mr. Rai -

1) is it ethical on your part to have incorrect questions with no matching answer in an exam like CAT where the ratio is a sickening 2.5 lacs / 1000 seats for the "prestigious" IIMs ?
    2) is it ethical on your part to have an unsecured website to be allowed for testing and calling visitors of that site unethical after that ?
    3) and last but not the least, in an exam where even 1 mark means make or break for the students, "psycometrically" balancing marks and normalizing them based on the perceptions of "difficulty" level across 20 slots is not really something that makes sense. Is it ethical to rank everyone on the same scale of percentile if everyone is answering different questions ?

( remember that when GRE / GMAT does that, the admissions aren't based on your rank / percentile in the exam, but rather on the marks you score. ) Anyway, I am sure that he has just followed the previous CAT Convenor's footsteps and highlighted the adamant arrogance instead of accepting their mistakes and rectifying them.

To end my ire on a pleasant note, I would like to thank Mr Rai - that he won't take any action against those who looked at their score card by typing a URL in their address bar. How considerate of him to excuse us unethical people!! And next time onwards, please mention it clearly when you will be testing the results / website, we will be playing ludo / snake & ladders at that time instead of using the freely available internet.

Cheers,
    Suyash
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Way to go, Suyash 😁
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    well said suyash
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    This has shown them in a bad light as people. They are certainly not the kind of people IIMs would like to have in their institutes and definitely not the kind of leaders we are looking forward to make in the future,
    Lolz It makes me remember the famous moral of the story "The Grapes are sour" 😀
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Its just shows they are covering their mistake!

Everyone will be curious about their results, and if it is available yes we will check it.

It is you Mr.Rai who gave an unethical statement being in an prestigious position. Not the people who checked their result.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Takes guts to publicly acknowledge mistakes, right? 😀
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The_Big_K
    Takes guts to publicly acknowledge mistakes, right? 😀

Yep, this is 100 percent accurate statement!!

But once we acknowledge our mistake , we will be very very happy and all the stress which we are facing will be lost.

This cannot be said , only experienced. 😀
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Blaming others for our own mistakes is unethical. It requires courage and sense of maturity to accept one's mistakes.

If I would have got a chance to check out my results, i would have done it for sure..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

FaceBook Shortcut Keys 1. New Message: Alt + M 2. Search Box: Alt + ? 3. Home Page: Alt + 1 4. Your Profile: Alt + 2 5. Friend Requests:...
This IS a bold debate topic that should have appeared in our debate section last year. Indian Institute Of Management couldn't manage their own prestigious CAT exam last year that...
I wish to know what is the primary motive of candidates who opt for higher education post engineering degree. Is it the want of knowledge OR Better job prospects. Obviously,...
I was searching for resource to run my programs online. And I found codepad. Codepad is an online compiler/interpreter, and a simple collaboration tool. Paste your code there, and Codepad...
i am 2nd year electronics and communication student. i want to start my first project at my home but i have very less practical knowledge. please suggest me a beginner...