Are Social Networks Bringing People Closer?

Social networking are surely eliminating the geography in connecting people. On one hand, social networks provide a way to connect people by allowing them various sharing tools. On the other, people are saying that social networks are destroying the person-to-person interactions in real life.

What's your take?

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    I say both!

Social Networks bring people together, in way that we can interact even with strangers, very easily and get to know about them. Friends and relations from abroad or even at remote places, can be seen like sitting nearby and interacting as if they are in the same room. My experience was I got a friend of mine working in US and has helped me to find a project, which is as challenging as life and yeah, I got to get more networks too. 😀

At the same time, Social Networks destroy person-to-person communication, as this picture below says it. People have now become addicted of Poking, Liking, Commenting, and not doing a face-to-face communication with their peers. One of my personal issues, which is raising day by day is I am not spending much time with my family now-a-days! I had been with my work and my PC all day and my mom feels that there is no difference in the recent past, whether I am at home or at office. 😔
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just a side question: What kind of interaction happens with strangers over a social network?

What I mean is, unless it's a topic based discussion - the interaction with stranger would majorly be 'making friends' only. Am I missing something?
    The_Big_K
    Just a side question: What kind of interaction happens with strangers over a social network?

What I mean is, unless it's a topic based discussion - the interaction with stranger would majorly be 'making friends' only. Am I missing something?
    The moment someone starts a meaningless (or notionless or casual) discussion with someone over the internet through social networks (at other places, it would be topic based), people get to know about each other, about how they can offer help and sharing feelings. What if their wavelengths match and they come to talk about a particular topic? That way, it is useful and at the same time, privacy also matters.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Yes, I totally agree
    Still a hand written letter expresses emotions better than an email in arial font since it gives a personal touch to it.
    I believe still a phone call is better than a text chat on the internet since we can judge the tone , seriousness / joking

Chat and Other internet Apps have considerably reduced personal /direct interactions even in between neighbors in some cases 😁
    Gandalf
    Yes, I totally agree
    Still a hand written letter expresses emotions better than an email in arial font since it gives a personal touch to it.
    I believe still a phone call is better than a text chat on the internet since we can judge the tone , seriousness / joking

Chat and Other internet Apps have considerably reduced personal /direct interactions even in between neighbors in some cases 😁
    Still you can use Rich Text Formatting to express your STRONG, emotional and important tones, right?
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    But they aren't as good as emotions expressed by your own handwriting

the formatting could be taken in different meaning ??
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    when you can 'see' - walk , if you cant then ' call'.
    leaving strangers apart , we have family geropus in FB , where all the fmaily members (Across the world) share latest happenings in their world. when infromation is small a FB update would eb fine, when it has a huge sotry a call is never far away

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

https://www.sphider.eu/ Have a look at above mentioned link , explore this software, You will find it very interesting PS:- I have created this thread in CE Labs intentionally with a...
Designer Quest: Designer’s Quest is the robotic event of Kurukshetra, CEG, Anna University.This is a one of a kind robotics event for the those who dare to be creators. 'Designer's...
Angry Bots: Hey all! Tired of playing the video games on your phones or tablets? When G-one could get a chance to live, the Angry Birds deserve one too! We...
The social media can be devilish. If you offer quality - then the whole social media will go ga-ga over you. But if you fail to deliver what you promise;...
Microsoft seems to have launched SOCL - social network that is expected to compete with Facebook & Google's Google+ network. Microsoft's social network is codenamed 'SOCL' and it was first...