Are Console Based Games Dying?

Peter Vesterbacka of #-Link-Snipped-# - the company that develops highly popular game "Angry Birds" has said that the there's no future to consol games and they're becoming obsolete. The popularity of mobile devices is growing and they offer plethora of options to game developers. Yes, at present there are hardware capability limitations, but in future, we'll have very powerful hand-held devices capable of processing complex graphics.

I personally do not think console based games will die anytime soon. The nature of console based games is very different from those based on mobiles and I believe they'll continue to co-exist for a long time in future.

Your take on this?

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I also think Console based games will continue to exist.
    The games in hand held devices are for casual gamers and playing for fun kind of things..
    More serious gaming in a professional way will continue to be played in consoles only.

Maybe the performance capability of hand held devices will improve and we'll also see more intensive games for the mobile platform too..
    But I still cannot imagine professional gaming being done on a mobile device.. Maybe time will tell.. But I'd still prefer a more formal platform for my serious games..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I believe one more important aspect of console based games is the controllers. Kinnect has removed the need of physical controllers, however the techology will take quite some time to mature. I can't imagine complex actions I can do with controllers with mere gestures. Imagine playing God Of War III without a controller 😉 .
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    i agree.Console games wont fade off its same as comparing laptop to desktop or for that matter alienware😁
    frankly, mobile does not offer varied interfaces like gaming consoles do .

Ps: how much ever the mobile gaming advances, I wont be able to play Naruto in mobile with only movement of my fingers.

But, thinking the other way around, what else might advance in mobile gaming? Agreed , the mobile gaming devices and softwares might evolve, but will they to such an extent that they can suprass consoles?? like gesture movements, and things?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    durga
    Ps: how much ever the mobile gaming advances, I wont be able to play Naruto in mobile with only movement of my fingers.
    You play Naruto? 😉 cool..

Btw, I think how much ever the gaming scene in mobile devices advances, there will still be consoles and console games around.

This can easily be seen, if you realize that gaming in mobile devices will never be serious.
    Even after developments in graphics and performance, and possibly after releasing high end games for mobile devices too, it'll still be a place where you play casual games.

I cant imagine playing DoTA or counter strike or quake in a mobile device. Although DoTA like and quake like games are already available for mobiles, and I've tried some, I didn't quite get the experience I get from playing it in a computer or a console. It was fun, but was very casual. So, mobile gaming will remain casual regardless of the developments made.
  • Kajall
    Kajall
    Its good game sharing ...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HTC Arrive is the first Windows 7 phone that uses CDMA. The phone will arrive on Sprint (US) on March 20th for $199 for 2 year contract. HTC Arrives features...
Create a cursor by using the computer program gimp, which can be downloaded for free over the Internet. Make a cursor for a PC. Follow this video: [video=youtube;fPyxr6reKfg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPyxr6reKfg[/video]
I'm looking for the difference between WEP and WPA2-PSK terms used in Wireless Router Domain. All I know about them is that they're encryption mechanisms used in securing wireless routers....
Pls can any one throw more light on the 5 pen pc technology. Good day
I thought I'd inform you about a website I had created long ago for those who really want to kill time on the Internet. Check out this site: Dimag Kharab