Applications of Flywheel

what is function of fjywheel and what is it's application?

Replies

• PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Flywheel is used to store energy produced during power stroke of engine so that energy can be used effectively in remaining three strokes. It is fitted just after crankshaft. It is widely used in automotive engines. Basic idea behind using flywheel is to get regular power.

Remember More is the number of cylinders in engine, lesser will be size of flywheel needed.
  • jaspal rautela
    jaspal rautela
    so can be use flywheel in bike als?
  • jaspal rautela
    jaspal rautela
    so can we use flywheel in a bike? if not so why?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    yes flywheels are used in bikes, because bikes always have single-cylinder engines due to lack of space.

anyways i think this topic has been discussed before in CE.
  • jaspal rautela
    jaspal rautela
    can we use more than one cylinder engine in a bike?
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Yes ofcourse we can use more number of cylinders in bike e.g. Harley Davidson have V-Twin engines. Number of cylinders are decided on basis of power you require. But more be number of cylinders will make engine bulky and affect milege.
  • jaspal rautela
    jaspal rautela
    so there only one flywheel is required or more then one in muliti cylinder engine?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    jaspal rautela
    so there only one flywheel is required or more then one in muliti cylinder engine?
    no engine will have more than one flywheel.

as for v-twin engines , the flywheel size depends on the engine design.
  • jaspal rautela
    jaspal rautela
    so in bike, car or buses how many flywheel is used?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    jaspal rautela
    so in bike, car or buses how many flywheel is used?
    as i already told you, only one.
  • saravanan4
    saravanan4
    flywheel is a simple energy reservoir , the mass of the flywheel gives constant output of power to the final drive, flywheel can be used when there is need of constant output without any fluctuation of power while the input to the flywheel is intermittent from the source.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    Flywheel is also employed in a punching press.Here there is constant input torque but the load is varying ,ie energy required at the time of punching operation is very high.
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    Actually flywheel stores the energy which is more than the need of machine and releases it when energy supply lacks!
    it stablizes the fluctuations in energy input.
  • The myth buster
    The myth buster
    One of the most basic function of flywheel is to store energy..this stored energy is exhausted in subsequent cycles.
  • Mahesindai
    Mahesindai
    used to storage the energy by a mechanical way ..
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    flywheel is a body of any arbitrary shape used to store the energy due to its heavy mass or in other words due to its moment of inertia so we can use it as a pusher. particularly this term is often used for round body but it is important to note that in many engineering application arbitrary shaped energy transverse devices are used

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi

myself swaroop saha of final year frm priyadarshini college of engineering , nagpur
This is Sumanthreddy from india(hyd) studying in b.tech 1st year in eee. had interest in thinking new ideas.​Aim is to become a manager in one of the great companies after...
i am a final year student at thapar university , BE chemical engg. But i am not much interested in doing a job in any core chemical industry any suggestions...
Sir, can any one provide details of what and how to prepare for taking IIIT A information scurity course test ???? what is it expected for an IT engineer to...