Apple Mail : Download Headers Only From Gmail

I just upgraded to OSX Yosemite and thought of switching over to the default Apple Mail application from Sparrow, the mail app that I absolutely love. After configuring my Gmail account in Apple Mail, I found that the app started downloading all the email from Gmail servers offline. Since my Gmail already has Gigabytes of data, I'd prefer to download only the mail headers first and download only the mail that I explicitly click on.

But there seems to be no option to download only the mail that I select! Too bad that Apple mail does not provide me with this simple facility! But if I'm looking at all wrong locations, please let me know.

#-Link-Snipped-# - Do you have a clue?

Replies

• Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    I am setting up Gmail to test, but I can't do that as it says "Application-specific password required." when I go to enter my information. What does this mean?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You need to enter your gmail credentials. The mail program does everything else.
  • Michael Pollak
    Michael Pollak
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You need to enter your gmail credentials. The mail program does everything else.
    I did. It won't take it. It says Application-specific password required. You must obtain an application-specific password from Google.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Found a Fix!

Google knows how to do the software and Apple doesn't! Gmail allows you to specify how many email messages to keep in your IMAP folders, so that they don't grow exploding your hard-drives. I went to Gmail Settings and then to IMAP settings. At the bottom of the settings page, select how many messages you want to keep in IMAP folder.

I set the number to 1000 messages in both the gmail accounts I'm synching in Apple Mail and now it only downloads 1000 mails. You can further limit the download by choosing not to download the attachments (Option available in Apple Mail -> Account Settings). Will give Apple mail a try for the next few days. Else, the only option for me is to start loving the Air Mail app.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey,is there any opportunity in your projects to work,if so can u inform me plz,to get hans on experience
Quote Google Glass may be just the interface that paralyzed people need to neuro-control medical devices—if research out of Kennesaw State University’s BrainLab is any indication. Glass users normally use...
We all know the importance of sleep in our lives. It helps us to rest and recuperate our weary bodies for another challenging tomorrow. However for some of us out...
Why is more power attained by a petrol engine than a diesel one?
"Item Details- Name: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2Gbddr5Order ID: 2065156330 Suborder Code: 2797926001 I received the product on May 14, 2014. On opening it I discovered that it was the...