Apple Introduces Nokia Storyteller-Like Feature, Dubbed As Memories

One of the most awaited tech event of the year- Apple WWDC Keynote 2016, finally took flight yesterday. Tim Cook, CEO Apple's MacBook Update Released, New Rose Gold Color Variant Unveiled At $1299, kicked off the event paying condolence to the victims of the recent terror attack at Orlando. And during the event, the company took the cover off the much anticipated #-Link-Snipped-#. Keeping the keynote as simple as they can, they introduced the ten changes they made to iOS 10.

apple-memories-nokia-storyteller-2-compressed apple-memories-nokia-storyteller-3
Apple's Memories

One of the major upgrades that was positively received by the audience was the Photos app. The camera-abilities of phones are reaching new heights every passing day. And Apple has always tried to remain at the apex of that competition. In iOS 10, it introduced a significantly quicker way to take pictures, by just swiping right to left to open the camera. Apple introduced face recognition into the picture library. Besides, iOS 10 will also make billions of computations on every single picture to recognise objects in that picture. This will enable users to search photos on the basis of what's inside that picture, similar to what Google announced in its Google Announces Messenger Allo, Duo and Google Home at I/O 2016.

apple-memories-nokia-storyteller-1

Another major inclusion to the Photos app is Memories. After updating to iOS 10, users would see a new tab called Memories, which would smartly group their pictures and videos together, based upon different attributes of the media like location, date, time and people. You can then tap over an album to see an overview, or all the underlying images and videos. Or interestingly, you can create your own custom video using these images. You can choose to make the video short, medium or long. The app also lets you select a theme for the video - gentle, chill, happy, sentimental, epic, etc. The concept for the app is most definitely inspired by Nokia Storyteller, which has been a part of the Windows Phone Ecosystem for about 3 years now. Below are the images of what Nokia's app looks like.

apple-memories-nokia-storyteller-4

apple-memories-nokia-storyteller-5
Nokia's Storyteller

Apple earlier cloned Nokia's Cinemagraph for developing the Live Photos, though Live Photos was a much better product and had complete functionality than the Cinemagraph. Memories too, has much more user-friendliness than what Nokia offered. It also has lot more options to group and make videos than Storyteller. Moreover, the users then weren't s familiar with the feature due to no advertisement from Nokia, and it was eventually a flop idea. Overall, Apple strategically launched these beautiful features, at a better time, in a better way.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Chinese electronics venture Xiaomi has unveiled a new product in Redmi 3 range, the Redmi 3S in China. The model will be priced at CNY 699 (approximately Rs. 7,000/-). Its...
Hi, I have been working as a software developer for 1.5 Months. I dont want to be a developer, because development is not my passion, I got placed in my...
Hi Team, I am a graduate in EEE currently working as a Lecturer. I would like to start a own business [SME - Initial investment less than 10lakhs] on manufacturing...
Hello sir/mam, Is there any scope for electrical engineers to go for MSW or MHRM? Can you please share information regarding these courses? What kind of jobs does these courses...
After graduating as a computer science engineer in the year 1999, Lalit Bhise started working as a software engineer. The entrepreneurial bud him took sprout in the year 2006 when...