CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Kaustubh Katdare • 16 Sep, 2015
Curious to know if there are any advantages of putting the vehicle on centre stand over the side stand? If there are no advantages, why don't the two wheeler makers totally get rid of the centre stand; especially from the scooty type vehicles?
@Aashish Joshi • 16 Sep, 2015 • 3 likes One advantage I can think of is space. Parking areas in some public places are very crowded (especially in Hyderabad). Using the side stand means your bike is at an angle (\) to the road. So it takes up slightly more space than if it was on its center stand (|).

Looking at one bike alone, it doesn't look like we save a lot of space. But if you consider 20 - 30 bikes parked in a row it probably means you can cram in a few more bikes. 😀
@lal • 16 Sep, 2015 • 1 like Once an "automobile freak" friend commented, high-speed racing motor bikes have only centre stand. Using a side stand would make the load acting on bearings and other pivotal points in an angular manner that it might cause slight misalignment in long term use which might affect the performance of bike on tarmac.

It does sound like making sense although all the bearings and mentioned pivotol points would have been manufactured with many times the actual load bearing capacity.
@Anoop Kumar • 16 Sep, 2015 • 1 like
lal
Once an "automobile freak" friend commented, high-speed racing motor bikes have only centre stand. Using a side stand would make the load acting on bearings and other pivotal points in an angular manner that it might cause slight misalignment in long term use which might affect the performance of bike on tarmac.
Doesn't seem right. I see lots of high end racing bike including BMW in Birmingham. Almost all of them are at side stand only.
Middle stand helps in saving space as pointed by @Aashish Joshi and side stand is more stable on uneven place.
This article suggest that Center stand is primarily for maintenance purpose .
Like removing wheels and chain maintenance.
4.6k views

Related Posts

@Kaustubh Katdare · Mar 11, 2013

HCL is one of the preferred technology companies in India by engineers graduating in CS/IT and electronics related branches. I see a lot of candidates are searching for the recruitment...
9.6k views

@Rucha Wankhede · Jan 22, 2016

Indian Tech major, Lava, recently unveiled a new entry-level smart phone Lava P7 that comes with a 5-inch display with a Corning Gorilla glass protection and a 5MP camera for...
4.3k views

@Ankita Katdare · Jul 28, 2011

1. The part of machine level instruction, which tells the central processor what has to be done, is A. Operation code B. Address C. Locator D. Flip-Flop E. None of...
7k views

@Tahir Masood · Aug 31, 2012

i need list of final year project proposal for software engineering students, thanks
4.3k views

@Mahesh Shelke · Jun 29, 2012

what kind of job I ll be offered after completing MS in Mechanical Engineering ?
5k views