Anti glare glass for windshield

Following is the link given by CSK auto, when we discussed about having a anti-glare glass for a car.
#-Link-Snipped-#

Go through this discussion,

#-Link-Snipped-#

So the link number 1 mostly talks about having a anti-glare glass that can be fitted through a DC motor which helps in blocking glare etc etc..

After going through the post I am quite sure that its not feasible in India, so I would like to ask our fellow Ceans for innovative solutions which can help in avoiding glare.

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    We can digitally edit pictures and movies, right? How about we mount an HD camera on the car bonnet (2 or 3 of them if you are worried about peripheral vision), process its video feed to edit out the glare and display the results on a screen mounted in front of the driver? Meanwhile, we'll cover the screen with an opaque tarpaulin. Other stuff like Night Vision camera etc can be attached if needed.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I understand your idea as you have to view the output from camera and drive, are we not complicating the process of driving here ?
    And moreover, if you see through a windshield you can see a wider range of road and you will be able see animals which can come onto the road infact manythings.
    If you are limiting your vision then its not a good idea and not safe is my opinion.

Is there something that be designed for eyes? or for windshield or for lights ?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Best way is adviceing driver to wear antiglare glasses.Its very cheap and portable so that we can use it in every car we drive.This is the simple solution i found in net.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Using Anti-glare coated windshield seems to be the best option to reduce glare in normal vision.

Gurjap
    We can digitally edit pictures and movies, right? How about we mount an HD camera on the car bonnet (2 or 3 of them if you are worried about peripheral vision), process its video feed to edit out the glare and display the results on a screen mounted in front of the driver? Meanwhile, we'll cover the screen with an opaque tarpaulin. Other stuff like Night Vision camera etc can be attached if needed.

A big NO for this. It will cause more accidents. What you can add there is a touch interactive back portion of windscreen on drivers side. That would look cool.
  • lal
    lal
    What about using a liquid crystal behind the wind shield. When a car is approaching with high beam and the light intensity is very high, a photo-detector may detect it and partially darken the pixels of the liquid crystal. Once the approaching car passes by or the light intensity decreases, the pixels will be turned transparent again.

The amount of darkening of pixels may be controlled according to the intensity of light from the approaching vehicle.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    lal
    What about using a liquid crystal behind the wind shield. When a car is approaching with high beam and the light intensity is very high, a photo-detector may detect it and partially darken the pixels of the liquid crystal. Once the approaching car passes by/ or the light intensity decreases, the pixels will be turned transparent again.

The amount of darkening of pixels may be controlled according to the intensity of light from the approaching vehicle.

Innovative but I suppose in the duration when the liquid crystals do their job, they will hamper the normal vision too.
  • lal
    lal
    I suppose in the duration when the liquid crystals do their job, they will hamper the normal vision too.
    I don't think so. Response time of modern liquid crystals are as low as 2 milliseconds. And that is many many times lower than the blinking time of human eye! Average blink length of a human is 100 to 300 milliseconds.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    lal
    I don't think so. Response time of modern liquid crystals are as low as 2 milliseconds. And that is many many times lower than the blinking time of human eye! Average blink length of a human is 100 to 300 milliseconds.

No I mean, when the crystals will modify the pixels, it will affect the normal vision of the road too.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Here is what I have in defense of my idea: the components are easily available, and they aren't very costly. Hence, it is a rather more pragmatic solution than suggesting thingies made out of Handwavium. As for these anti-glare glasses, I own a pair from Polaroid, and I will definitely suggest you don't wear these during night driving. Why is that? Because anti-glare glass has a tendency to reduce the lux level of all kinds of light reaching your eyes, meaning the intensity of light from the surroundings is slashed as well. Dangerous thing in India, where people can be found crossing improperly lit four-lane highways without the benefit of a foot over bridge.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Gurjap
    Here is what I have in defense of my idea: the components are easily available, and they aren't very costly. Hence, it is a rather more pragmatic solution than suggesting thingies made out of Handwavium. As for these anti-glare glasses, I own a pair from Polaroid, and I will definitely suggest you don't wear these during night driving. Why is that? Because anti-glare glass has a tendency to reduce the lux level of all kinds of light reaching your eyes, meaning the intensity of light from the surroundings is slashed as well. Dangerous thing in India, where people can be found crossing improperly lit four-lane highways without the benefit of a foot over bridge.

This was exactly my doubt. Can you please elaborate on the solution you gave?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nayan Goenka
    No I mean, when the crystals will modify the pixels, it will affect the normal vision of the road too.
    LCD pixels are really cool is that they alter the intensity of light by using the principle of polarisation

In this not the entire light is ejected only the disturbing High intensity light can be easily be ejected

This is due to Plane polarisation of light in LCD read this Liquid Crystal Display
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Nayan Goenka
    This was exactly my doubt. Can you please elaborate on the solution you gave?

I think my earlier post covers pretty much covers my idea. Is there anything specific you want to know?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Gurjap
    I think my earlier post covers pretty much covers my idea. Is there anything specific you want to know?

Your Idea about using cameras, you have rightly justified my doubt of quality, but you missed the quantity of vision. Cameras will be restricted to view up to a certain angle in the front. That how do you suppose to tackle?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nayan Goenka
    Your Idea about using cameras, you have rightly justified my doubt of quality, but you missed the quantity of vision. Cameras will be restricted to view up to a certain angle in the front. That how do you suppose to tackle?
    Cameras have wider angle beyond your imagination and if you are using 3 cameras to view the road I am sure that the angle of vision is well above 100 degrees But one thing I can't assure and that will be the visibility distance That will be lesser for sure
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Conqueror
    Cameras have wider angle beyond your imagination and if you are using 3 cameras to view the road I am sure that the angle of vision is well above 100 degrees But one thing I can't assure and that will be the visibility distance That will be lesser for sure

Along with that, you will need to convert the whole windshield into a screen from inner side. That is cool if you see from point of view of technology, making smart cars happen and stuff like deploying tab features there can be done, but if even one camera goes out of sync for any reason, it won't be possible to drive car. I am less worried about distance of vision but rather covering the whole span of view, around 180 degrees.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Actually the maximum viewing angle is achieved at lesser speed and that is always 120 degrees and 180 degree vision is not possible through the windscreen That is why we have rear view mirror

Well smart cars are the norm and this is a simple step

Do you know any tech we make and bring it into use in practical life threatening situations have 1:1 redundancy if one fails another takes up it's place

Yeah the price is piped up a lot But that is the way technology has developed so far
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Nayan Goenka

The idea is to use more than one camera. By that, I mean you need to view the front, the right, the left, the up AND the down. 3 cameras would suffice for this. You could place one right on top of the front bumper (with sufficient allowances for its security, of course), and place the other two on top of the car roof at either front edge.
    You can then process the feed as per your requirement, and display it on a split screen in front of the driver.

Nayan Goenka
    Along with that, you will need to convert the whole windshield into a screen from inner side. That is cool if you see from point of view of technology, making smart cars happen and stuff like deploying tab features there can be done, but if even one camera goes out of sync for any reason, it won't be possible to drive car. I am less worried about distance of vision but rather covering the whole span of view, around 180 degrees.

I am unable to understand what you intend by "camera out of sync". Do you mean the camera feed of one might get delayed as compared to the others? Or do you mean a cam might get damaged or otherwise put out of commission?

In either case, the car won't be "impossible to drive". The tarpaulin covering the windshield isn't intended to be glued there, hence it might be easily removed if the system hits a glitch.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Camera Out of sync is what correctly you guessed. A delay in system. Plus in cases of Damage too that will get affected. And when you are driving normally in a city, it is better to trust judgement of human eye rather than electronic feed.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nayan Goenka
    Camera Out of sync is what correctly you guessed. A delay in system. Plus in cases of Damage too that will get affected. And when you are driving normally in a city, it is better to trust judgement of human eye rather than electronic feed.
    Delay in RF is generally less about a few nano sec and camera and screen are not really that far so interfacing is really easy and does not have any delay in transmission of signal
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Conqueror
    Delay in RF is generally less about a few nano sec and camera and screen are not really that far so interfacing is really easy and does not have any delay in transmission of signal

Still driving on basis of feeds from camera is not acceptable in traffic. Maybe it is feasible but according to me it cannot be applied.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Allow me to repeat what I said: it is an auxiliary technology, and can be put "offline" whenever needed.
  • Geredd Hayes
    Geredd Hayes
    Possibly you could set up a forward facing camera to detect glare, and an eye tracking camera, and then triangulate the point of the display where the glare is, and dim it.
  • Geredd Hayes
    Geredd Hayes
    Or this: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung Electronics, China has today launched a new Android phone called the Samsung W789 Hennessy. This dual-screen clamshell device is the Android flip phone that everyone has been waiting for....
this is the topic related to power electronics. i want to know about operation of this device elaborately with the help of waveforms.
this concept comes under power diodes. can you please explain the basic difference between the two types?
What is the mechanism of push and pull rod suspension
Hello everyone! I am new to php language. I want to know if we install xammp server on our pc . Is there any need to install php 5.5.1 or...