Another silly question regarding the transmissability of power.

I am back with another silly doubt of mine!:hehehe:
Suppose I have a power plant of my own. I can produce 20MW of power. But the substation near my plant has users who only consume a total of 3MW of power. Before I start up my plant, I studied the sub-station.Its a 33/11kV substation. I saw that it is initially consuming power from another substation with is a 132/33kV substation. A thought struck my mind. If I do supply the 33/11kV substation with all my power, can I be able to connect and transfer my power to the 132/33kV substation? That is, if I give 20MW to the 33/11kV substation, will it export the excess power back to the 132/33kV grid? I can't connect the power plant directly to the 132/33kV substation as it is 40km away. Laying down 40km of transmission line will make my investors really unhappy.

I require the answer for this question really fast. Please let me know about it. Thank you.
Again, sorry for taking time.

Replies

• aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Somebody, answer this!
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Why do you think its not possible??? ๐Ÿ˜€ It seems logically possible,can you tell what will be the difficulty in transmitting the power through the 33/11kV sub-station to the other sub-station of 33/132kV??

P.S : I'm only in my 3rd sem.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Thanks for the answer nsiva, I am also feeling that it is logically possible. But I got to know whether there can be practical hitches in this method. Still, if someone would support the answer with a point, I would love to see it. I miss you Voltaire!
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hi AJ i don't know why but i am confused over your question, so far as i think exporting power is possible but not via the same lines that are delivering power, separate connections will be needed to export power. Though i am not that good in electronics i think it'll be a costly project.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Leo
    so far as i think exporting power is possible but not via the same lines that are delivering power, separate connections will be needed to export power.
    This is my question. Why can't we do it?
    Why is it not possible to export power through the same lines which are used to import power?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    no we cant deliver the power in same line i mean power cant be came back by same line because it will oppose the active power and total power will be reduced and much heating is produced this occur when u think theoritically but practically u cant even do it because its impossible
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I got the answer. We CAN do it.
    The 33/11kV substation used to supply power to a total of 3MW. Now, initially it used to get that power from the far away substation. So it has the lines which connect itself with the 132/11kVsubstation. Now, If my power plant does provide 20MW, then there is no need for the 33/11substation to depend on the far away substation. So, it will consume the power from my plant.
    Now we have a line which is lying useless there. We can wheel the remaining 17MW through that transmission line to the 132/33kV substation. It can find potential users there.

Now here is my question, is there any need for a change of circuitry present in any of the substation? I tried to find out, but from the study I conducted, there is no circuit breaker or any device which depends on the direction of the power which is used in substations(well, our power plant doesn't have it in our switch-yard... I hope).
    But I want to make that sure.

So, my question is, "Do we need to alter the configuration of any of the utility so that I can wheel the power back?"

From the above discussion, it is clear that we can wheel the power back.

I really need the answer to this question.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    but in the factor of safety u should need a switch gear and another equipment for this type of higher lines and i think u shold need a lightning arresters in case of any emergency situations
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Hi Ajit

The way I understand your question is that you want to transfer your 20 megs through the 33/11 sub into the 132/33 supply line coming from the grid. In principle it is possible and there are a few factors that I would consider:
    1. How many amps can the 132/33 cable from the grid handle
    2. How many amps can the 33/11 cable from the sub handle
    3. The phases must be synced and so the software interface/control system is important
    4. SLA - the service level agreement with the utility supplier which agrees when/how the power is transfered

There may be more issues but these are what I could think of
    Hope it helps
    V
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Voltaire, you are the man!
    I always forget to take into account the amps involved, and every time, its you who points that out. Oh dear! An engineer must not do the same mistake twice, but look at me... :shifty: Thanks voltaire! Thanks for your support. I will divert my study to that side. Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Cool discussion.. By the way in what paper i'll be studying all these things.. i mean in which subject i'll study about power transmission and all...!
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    nsiva007
    Cool discussion.. By the way in what paper i'll be studying all these things.. i mean in which subject i'll study about power transmission and all...!
    nsiva, thi9s is the reason why we come in CE, to think out of the box, to think out of the book and to be better...
    If you like this one, take a look at another one.. I feel that you are going to love it.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Thanks ๐Ÿ˜€
    Also remember that you may be generating power at 132 and so you would want to step it down first. Look at the combinations over the site trafo and decide where you want to tie it back into the main supply line i.e. before or after the site trafo. A simple mod at the main utility supplier could allow them to take your megs straight into the 132 side. The upshot of this is that you would get many more amps through the 33 line if you transmit at 132
    V
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Voltaire, dear big guy, one thing to say.
    I hope all over India(and I hope pretty much all over the world), power generation is done in 11kV. The power is stepped up inside the plant itself(there is a transformer in the switch-yard side) before being transmitted. I can design my transmission as required, as I have not yet built it.
    And, sorry, I couldn't understand what a mod is (refer the sentence-A simple mod at the main utility supplier....)
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Hi Ajit
    You have taught me something ๐Ÿ˜
    Peace
    V
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    but 1 thing is the problem if u give the 11kv transmission to long distence at load it will get only 10kv due to line losses thats y we step up and keep steps to load using transformers that is the transmission here
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Ajit
    Mod = modification
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    narayana murthy
    but 1 thing is the problem if u give the 11kv transmission to long distence at load it will get only 10kv due to line losses thats y we step up and keep steps to load using transformers that is the transmission here
    Dear NM,
    Thats a totally different issue altogether. That is a part of the calculation, assumption and whatever we do in the process of the EPC(engineering, procurement and construction). We are talking about a whole different level here. But your curiosity level is very high. Its a good sign for an engineer. Do one thing, from today, start a work. Go through the whole electrical and electronics forum. Its a long tough job, but do it in steps. whenever you get time, do it. Whatever dobt you get, just post it there, someone will answer your doubt. Keep up the good work NM. Be active in CE and you will gain a lot, I assure you that.
  • JCgal
    JCgal
    hi,

I'm new in this site and this is really interesting, i hope this can help on ur 2nd question, i think it is related to the UPS that is in parallel with 50 - 50 load or 70-30 load you need an same like Static transfer switch (STS) to govern the transfer.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, We've seen rickshaw pullers (though there are only a few left) straining very hard to carry 2-3 people for a ride.. Can something be thought about the chain...
What are keys and satellite data when talking in terms of algorithms? Are keys and node data value,the same thing,or is it the satellite data? ๐Ÿ˜•
Source -Mail Dynamic top notch client is looking for a talented functional tester with proven expertise in e-commerce web testing and offshore test coordination. Need to possess strong B2C transactional...
Intex is going very innovative with its range of mobile phones. The company has recently launched Intex V.Show IN 8810 - the phone with inbuilt projector! That means you can...
Centrica Uses Panasonic Toughbook To Assist With 2m Installations By 2012 UK. 29 NOVEMBER 2010: Rugged PCs will be the mobile device of choice for power companies as their field...