amplitude modulation & side bands

hi....
actually as per the definition the output of the amplitude modulation has same frequency as that of the carrier..........
bt if the frequency is constant then why are side bands supposed to be there?????

Replies

• lokesh258
    lokesh258
    because there is a distortion in the frequency component even though frequency is constant
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    lokesh258
    because there is a distortion in the frequency component even though frequency is constant
    then if a question is asked like this........what is the frequency of the modulated wave with modulating frequency f1 and carrier frequency f2??????????
    is the answer f2 or f2+f1 and f2-f1??????
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    you cannot get a frequency on account of amplitude modulation. you will always get frequencies.

it is because amplitude modulation does not result in a single frequency component. rather three distinct components are produced.
    The first component contains higher order frequency in terms of carrier frequency. this component is not useful because no message content resides in it.
    the other two components are of interest to us since they contain message signal; these components are f2-f1 and f2+f1. it is from these two components that the message signal is recovered through various demodulation schemes.

so you always get a mixture of frequencies rather than a single frequency in the modulated wave as a result of amplitude modulation

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am Augustine Whymer a Liberian Studying Electronics Engineering At the Stella Maris Polytechnic I am Willing to acquire knowledge and also to share knowledge too i decided to do,...
Someone please help me by showing how to do this. Write an MIPS procedure of calculating the n-th term of the Fibonacci sequence F (n). F(n) is defined as below:...
i have a wireless hotspot that whenever i connect to it it keep assigning different ip addresses each time am connected. do anyone have idea on how to use a...
How to install windows xp on core i 5 processor laptop.
hi all... i am new in fuzzy logic field. can anyone tell me how to write fuzzy rules and membership functions in matlab...... Thanks in advance