Algae-Powered Building Is A Cool Place To Live

129 algae filled louvered tanks hang over the south-east and south-west faces of the 15-unit apartment that has been constructed in the city of Hamburg, Germany. The unconventional architecture is the brainchild of SSC Strategic Science Consultants and Splitterwerk Architects and named the Bio Intelligent Quotient (BIQ) House. The building is covered in green exteriors with a giant cartoon-like bubble on one side with the word "Photosynthesis?" on it. The primary purpose of the project is to provide an alternate and organic way to heat and cool large buildings. The algae, which was collected from the nearby Elbe river was put into large thin rectangular clear cases. Nutrients and carbon dioxide are provided to the algae by an automated system. The building uses both solar thermal and geothermal energy to regulate temperature.

slide
The tanks are attached to the scaffolding such that they are capable of turning towards the sun for maximum exposure. Consequently, the algae grows, more so in summer, hence giving shade to the building and keeping it cool. The excess heat that builds up inside the algae tanks is transferred to saline water tanks which lie beneath the building for later use. After a certain amount of algae growth has been reached, it is harvested in a processing facility in the building. The resulting biogas from the biomass can be burned to provide heat in the winter. The building will undergo a feasibility test to determine if such a model could be replicated in other cities. Rethink the unanimous look of disapproval towards algae. More power to Green!

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Rajan Lenka
    Rajan Lenka
    looking great......
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ... interesting! I wonder why it took Germans to figure out better use of algae on building walls. I've seen so many old buildings in India with thick layers of algae on them.

If every building can grow this we'll truly become a green world!
  • Shatil Ahmed
    Shatil Ahmed
    the post about the tank is very useful to me. good lessons are provided by the authors. wonderful thoughtfulness are stand here.
  • Umesh Kumar Rai
    Umesh Kumar Rai
    Seems to be very interesting concept. Buildings covered with Algae anf its used to control the temperature, cool.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Most super cars of recent years come equipped with "nitro boost", everyone knows that its to increase the power output and speed of the automobile, but not many know what...
We used to have a wonderful activity until a few weeks ago - weekend talks. I believe the CE Conference can be used to conduct those debates/talks in a better,...
Check this video Starring Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, will.i.am, Chris Bosh, Jack Dorsey, Tony Hsieh, Drew Houston, Gabe Newell, Ruchi Sanghvi, Elena Silenok, Vanessa Hurst, and Hadi Partovi. Directed by...
Can someone explain to me what is the role of a decompression lever in an internal combustion engine?
We know that the optical media is dying and it's been a while you used your DVD drive. But have you ever thought of converting your DVD drive into a...