Airtel sued over providing false information

You can't deny that social network are really affecting people's lives - in a good or a bad way. In a recent development, a software techie has sued Airtel by INR. 20 crore for providing false information to the police that resulted into his imprisonment for about 50 days.

Techie Lakshman Kailash, employed as software engineer by HCL and a resident of Kodihalli got arrested in 2007 in Bangalore for defaming Chhatrapati Shivaji [founder of the Maratha Empire] by uploading a defaming photograph on India's one of the most popular social networking website - Orkut.

The police arrested Mr. Kailash based on his IP & information provided by Indian telecom giant - Airtel. Mr. Kailash spent about 50 days in jail at Pune (Maharashtra).

Later, it was discovered that the real cultprit was Mr. Kiran Reddy - a resident of Bangalore. After this discovery, Mr. Kailash was set free by the police.

Now in 2009, Mr. Kailash is demanding INR. 20 crore in damages because Airtel provided wrong information to the police. Initially, the Maharashtra Human Rights Commission had asked Airtel to pay only Rs. 2 lakh in damages; which Airtel has not paid yet.

What are your view on this news?

Replies

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Airtel is a well named and famed company. It is a shame for it.
    the thing Mr kailash done is correct. It may be correct for such type of things.

Now-a-days Airtel is doing dam things. Not only this.

yesterweek, my dad got a call from one company like insurance or credit card and explaining about their features and about their company. My dad gets irritated and asked them how you get my number? then they replied that Airtel company gave us the numbers by taking money. Not only for my dad, so many people are getting like this. and they are making call daily.

Is it right ?? How disturbance for the people it is..

Lets see. how the Airtel will respond to Mr. kailash..
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I guess here the Airtel need to pay all the 20 crores demanded by the kailash,
    the court will set it to a resonable amount

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Who Am I:- Anumeha Gururani Occupation:- student (b.tech 2nd year) Can Drive Car: yes Can ride a bike : yes....mmmm.....no(actually at times height hinders) Addictions : * Smoke : No...
I'm doing a research and I want to know if smart card can be use as a secure identity module. Can we use it as a national i.d.?
CEans, Any update on BSNL JTO 2009 results? We've been getting lots of hits for the BSNL JTO exam. If you have any update, please post it here as soon...
Group A - India, Pakistan, West Indies and Australia Group B - South Africa, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and England
India raced to a solid 2-0 lead after first day’s action of this World Group play-off tie.