Aircrafts flying upside down

what type of configurational changes are done on the wings of an aircraft to make it able to fly upside down.I mean how a normally flying plane gets inverted without any loss of control.Also since not all the planes can be flown upside down, what is so special about the wings of the aircrafts that can fly in both configurations.
Note- i know about the limitation of fuel and oil supply in the inverted position.Lets ignore it for a moment and talk everything in terms of lift and drag force.

Replies

• TAMIL AZHAGAR
    TAMIL AZHAGAR
    SYMMETRICAL WINGS
    Most airfoils are cambered, or curved, on top but flat on the bottom. As a result, they fly better upright than inverted. Symmetrical airfoils, which have the same curvature on both surfaces, perform exactly the same upright or inverted, and so are favored by aerobatic pilots. In order to fly at all, however, a symmetrical airfoil must be positioned at a slight positive angle—leading edge high—with respect to the flight path; otherwise the airflow around the upper and lower surfaces would be the same, and no lift would be created.

Read more: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mark mailu
    Mark mailu
    ASymmetrical wings:

The aerofoil aerofoil tends to be cambered on the upper camber and almost flat on the lower
    camber.The air flows on the upper camber of the wing at high velosity and
    vice versa to the lower camber.The upper camber experiences low pressure than the lower camber which has low velosity and has high pressure .this high pressure generates lift.in a case of upside down flying the lift is generated downward.this makes the aircraft move downward..this is negative lift.
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    Tamilazhagan
    SYMMETRICAL WINGS
    Most airfoils are cambered, or curved, on top but flat on the bottom. As a result, they fly better upright than inverted. Symmetrical airfoils, which have the same curvature on both surfaces, perform exactly the same upright or inverted, and so are favored by aerobatic pilots. In order to fly at all, however, a symmetrical airfoil must be positioned at a slight positive angle—leading edge high—with respect to the flight path; otherwise the airflow around the upper and lower surfaces would be the same, and no lift would be created.

Read more: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Doesn't the use of symmetrical wings and then giving a positive angle will lead to less lift as comparision to the one side flat wing.also,i think drag would also be increased in this case.
  • Mark mailu
    Mark mailu
    Rishabh1234quoted [QUOTE="Rishabh1234
    Doesn't the use of symmetrical wings and then giving a positive angle will lead to less lift as comparision to the one side flat wing.also,i think drag would also be increased in this case.
    From which book have you quoted.
    t: 339937, member: 188410"]Doesn't the use of symmetrical wings and then giving a positive angle will lead to less lift as comparision to the one side flat wing.also,i think drag would also be increased in this case.[/QUOTE]
    Which book jave ou quotd
  • Rishabh1234
    Rishabh1234
    i have not quoted it from any books. This is my understanding and curiosity to discuss this topic
  • Mark mailu
    Mark mailu
    I got you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google’s Chromecast is one of the most popular digital media player available in the market. But one of the drawbacks that it had was that it could be controlled only...
Hi frnds, Consider a four wheeler which is lifted from ground. non of it's wheel touches the ground. Now vehicle is started, put on first gear and clutch is released....
The silent war between the social networking sites continue to go on while both of them try to prove that they can provide much than the ability to connect with...
With an aim of assisting e-waste generating organisations in disposing conveniently while deriving maximum value out of it, Metamorf Waste Pvt. Ltd. was founded by Abhinav Prateek and Ankit Agrawal...
What is the Difference between bush and bearing ?