Adafruit’s Onion Pi Pack Turns Raspberry Pi Into Tor Routing Device

At a time when governments across the world are implementing surveillance programs like Prism, keeping your anonymity has become quite difficult; in times like these people have been heavily relying on Tor Project | Anonymity Online (The Onion Router), a free software and an open network that helps you defend against any form of network surveillance. But the trouble with this software is that you have to install it on a machine and always use that machine for anonymous browsing. So Tor has decided to team up with Adafruit, the makers of Raspberry Pi to create a portable wireless access point that shall allow you to take advantage of the Tor project anytime anywhere with the help of Raspberry Pi.

Onion Pi

To build Onion Pi, you require a Raspberry Pi, Ethernet cable, Wi-Fi network adapter with antenna and an SD card preloaded with the Raspberry Pi operating system. All the above components can be bought from Adafruit website as a part of the Onion Pi package or Raspberry Pi tinkers can buy the standard peripherals off-the-shelf. Next you have to follow the Overview | Onion Pi | Adafruit Learning System given on the Adafruit website to complete the installation.

Once the product has been assembled, all you have to do is power up the Onion Pi with a Micro USB cable with your computer or any wall adapter and connect the network cable in the Ethernet port in the device to create a secure wireless access point that can be accessed by laptops, tablets or smartphones for anonymous browsing. Since the device is portable you can easily use it on any Ethernet cable either at your work or even at your friend’s house.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Awesome! Thank you very much #-Link-Snipped-# 👍
    I will try this. I will try this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Awesome! Thank you very much #-Link-Snipped-# 👍
    I will try this. I will try this.
    Where did you buy the board from?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Where did you buy the board from?
    #-Link-Snipped-# I have RPi which I bought from Simplylabs, I will get rest other components If I am gonna make this.
    It's still Beta, more development in Onion Pi about to come.
    Edit : I guess I need just #-Link-Snipped-# now because rest all components I do have.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I got one as well, but its currently collecting dust in the closet. No time to play around with it much 😔

Keep us updated with your progress Abhishek!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No 'ac' in it. The product is so 2012.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ash
    I got one as well, but its currently collecting dust in the closet. No time to play around with it much 😔

Keep us updated with your progress Abhishek!
    Sure man, If I successfully run my current project which I can't proceed untill I make How To Create Logic level Converter ?. My next try will be onion Pi.
    Right now I am Stucked! 😔
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No 'ac' in it. The product is so 2012.
    Huh ?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I am being tempted to give it a try .. thanks for the post Swaroop!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, we're continuously working on resolving the issues and have managed to get the site back online. It'd be nice if you could keep an eye on the 'users online'...
Can anyone provide IS 14223 for me so that I can get some details about polishing of Kotah stone flooring.
How do you categorize your Folders / bookmarks? Organizing this is tedious work. I've got thousands of Documents, Utilities, bookmarks and I am about to undertake the task to organize...
Trailview 2.0 is a walking stick developed by Google with cameras & location sensors that are embedded inside the stick. Whenever, stick touches the ground, the Camera that is embedded...