Active Low:?

Why do we use Active low signals in digital circuits?
what is the reason to do so?
Give your opinion friends.

Replies

• Nishant Patel
    Nishant Patel
    any idea friends.............................
    i don't get it...........................
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    Active high means: 0 = "off" ; 1 = "on"
    Active low means: 1 = "off" ; 0 = "on"

Used for Digital Gates like AND, OR, NOT etc., based on the requirement of output.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    There are actually various reasons and one could argue.

Active high inputs are those inputs which gets invoked on high (or +5v). When they are not in use, we generally tend to keep them unconnected WHICH IS NOT A 0v CONDITION. Its an high impedance state and external random signals may somehow cause an spike or glitch. This is generally not an problem with data pins but if this happens to be on RESET signal, it'll totally bring failure of the application that was running.

Hence, signals like Reset & crucial control signals are always active low and you keep them tied to VCC when not in use. This ensures that circuit will not face any false triggers like we saw in case of active high signals.

Another reason is, the transition from High to Low is comparatively faster than transition from Low to High. This helps decreasing the propagation delay of the signal & hence increasing the speed.
  • Nishant Patel
    Nishant Patel
    Hmm, that's true.
    Thank you for information friend........
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    [Prototype]
    There are actually various reasons and one could argue.

Active high inputs are those inputs which gets invoked on high (or +5v). When they are not in use, we generally tend to keep them unconnected WHICH IS NOT A 0v CONDITION. Its an high impedance state and external random signals may somehow cause an spike or glitch. This is generally not an problem with data pins but if this happens to be on RESET signal, it'll totally bring failure of the application that was running.

Hence, signals like Reset & crucial control signals are always active low and you keep them tied to VCC when not in use. This ensures that circuit will not face any false triggers like we saw in case of active high signals.

Another reason is, the transition from High to Low is comparatively faster than transition from Low to High. This helps decreasing the propagation delay of the signal & hence increasing the speed.
    I'm wont conform with the faster transition delay. I dont think it will change. Any sources for it.

What you talking about in the first part, i think, is nothing but pulling up mode. Also, give me the reference for this. But, you are partly right.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    mreccentric
    I'm wont conform with the faster transition delay. I dont think it will change. Any sources for it.

What you talking about in the first part, i think, is nothing but pulling up mode. Also, give me the reference for this. But, you are partly right.
    As I said, one could argue on the reasons...

For reference, I remember it from 2nd year when one of our teacher told us. He told more, but I can't remember all. I saw this thread before, but didn't replied because I am myself not sure on those points but since, there was nothing, I thought its better to give some direction to OP.

Btw, the two transitions are not of same time. There's a little difference for sure, may be small, but it'll be there. So is the energy required for high -> low vs low -> high.
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    OK... will be nice if you can find more information about it. Thanks for sharing 😉

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Facebook's clear about their mobile strategy - the more is better. Facebook's announced updated Facebook Messenger that lets you chat without having a Facebook Account. The FB messenger system 'copies'...
Nimbuzz made it big as the popular messaging and social networking client across variety of platform. The company launched NCarry - an ecommerce shop that specialized in mobile phones, tablet...
I'm wondering if a printer with a wireless module which lets it double up as a wireless hotspot is a good idea or not. Because HP's just launched a machine...
can have IT companies Recruitment strategies for freshers ?
Dear Robotix 2013 organising team, We know promoting your event is a good thing, however spamming forums with copy pasted messages from your own website and adding links everywhere isn't...