AC motor running on square wave

Hi
My client wants to run a pump on inverted power. I recommended pure sine but what effect will square wave have on the motor? It is a single phase motor (small) and runs for short periods ca. 15 mins at a time, twice a day. Cap start induction.
Thanks

Replies

• vasanthmbs
    vasanthmbs
    it ll run.. but poor efficiency ... get heated soon. slow speed compared to ordinary one..
  • Voltaire
    Voltaire
    Thanks Vasanth
    What about pure sine? I believe that the inverted wave is actually distorted somewhat but I'm guessing that it would be okay. Could you please confirm this? Also; is it possible to run an AC motor on DC power? I can appreciate that start-up would require some work but is it possible in principle?
    Peace
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    The sine wave is more perfect wave in the sense that it has comparitively lesser harmonics than other waves, square, saw tooth, etc. The square wave has a very high amount of harmonics. If we use this in a motor, or any other electrical machine as such, they produce more heat in the machines. This can be explained using electrical humming in the cores.Do a bit of research in harmonics and the electric hum, you will find it out why.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have googling this for about 15 days now, but not able to get any ebook or torrent to download fro free! Again, I need a free version
Hi all, I'm wanting to calculate the instantaneous power of a piston. I know that usually P = Fv, where F is the force applied and v is the velocity....
If you are an Apple fanboy, you should listen to this Steve Jobs song - [video=youtube;i_qWXTuzVxE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qWXTuzVxE[/video]
Hi, sorry for being here after a very long time(really long...1yr almost) 😒 I'm pursuing Electronics and Communication Engineering From Indraprastha University (2nd Year) and need help for making a...
Hello friends First of all i would like to thanks all who helped me for solving my password program problem in c++.I had a two problems 1.searching 2.sorting of records...