Abrasive water jet cutting

i have gone through so many research papers but i didn't find that any paper on abrasive water jet cutting of High carbon steel.

can we cut High carbon steel with the help of Abrasive water jet machine?
if yes,than what parameter and range of various parameters should consider for better surface quality.and if no then why?

please give e solution asap.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The intensity of water flow along with the pressure with which the water is forced out

Other words the width of the nozzle is the major factor
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    water flow velocity, along with the pressure in the pump, and also the distance between the nozzle tip and the workpiece surface.
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    zaveri
    water flow velocity, along with the pressure in the pump, and also the distance between the nozzle tip and the workpiece surface.
    Adding to this, i'd say the type and size of abrasive material would matter a lot.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Kedar Malwadkar
    Adding to this, i'd say the type and size of abrasive material would matter a lot.
    Hey buddy we are using water jet as an abrasive here How can we know what type water takes 😨
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    just water can't cut any metal.
    we need to add some abrasive material such as sand/Calcium carbonate. and then throw this mixture through jet.
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    Refer this- Water Jet Cutter
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey friend I am not into this mach thing much But Fine sand is not a real strong abrasive and they have the potential of clogging the nozzle Can some more idea be given here. I don't get it

Both CaCO3 and sand have clogging nature due to insoluble nature then How is it possible to maintain a very fine nozzle tomaintain the pressure and Velocity head

PS: link has explained thanks
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Water jet machining actually makes use of the potential energy of a flowing water jet, and is used to cut only softer materials like leather, wood, cloth etc.

this type of machining is employed by all German car makers to manufacture the car upholstery.

Abrasive jet machining is a different thing altogether.
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    But #-Link-Snipped-# asked about "Abrasive water jet machine" .
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Water jet cutting can be used for softer materials like rubber. For steels Abrasive Water-jet cutting, which uses water with an abrasive sand mixed in it will work fine.High speed and high pressure will give you the best surface finish.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Everyone, Can anyone explain me that what is crystal report, why it is used and where can i find crystal report viewer i see in my toolbox there is...
i want various subject wise questions to prepare 4 gate
If you're looking for a good looking web based email client, Aol's got Alto Mail for you. The service works with leading email services like Gmail and Yahoo mail. The...
I want to know how the big Internet companies like Facebook and Google store the zigabytes of data generated every day. What mechanisms do they use?
sir I want to know introduction of PMC ( programmable motion control )