about grounding

hey friends,
i got a doubt
some where i listened as grounding means connecting to a metal is it right if so why we are using the metal from the ground by marking as grounding and another thing is which metal we use as grounding as my knowledge metal can be any cheap metal am i right
please answer to it friends

Replies

• Syncopator
    Syncopator
    Unfortunately the words "ground" and "grounding" are widely misused and frequently misunderstood.

What grounding should mean is connecting something, through a low impedance path, to the Earth. Its purpose is to avoid electrical shock in the case of a fault.

It might help you to read these two pages:

Earth

Leakage
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    If you think that grounding means connecting to a metal, first look what are you connecting to the metal. The wires are also made of metal. So, what you heard is just half of the conversation. The metal, which the source says, must be the earthing point. Please view in detail Various methods of earthing (pipe earthing, plate earthing etc.). The real motive behind earthing is to provide a path of very low resistance for any unwanted current (current leaked into the body of an electric iron, for example), which potentially harmful for the user. For earthing, we follow the various methods (as I said above). A conductor (pipe or plate(usually galvanized iron)) is used for better conduction. This must be the metal they must be talking about.
    Hope you got it clear NM.
    Sorry for the late reply.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    Thanks friends now i understood what it means
    @aj
    no problem
  • IES
    IES
    if a cheap metal is used for grounding then due to its impedance low currents will not flow through the cheaper metal, hence we alwz go for solidly grounding using good metals so that the conductor allows even a small current to flow & get into the ground...............

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yes its up All in events for Mechanical Engineers at PSG Tech Just check here PRAYATNA '11
KRIYA, the brainchild of the Students Union, PSG Tech, is the conglomeration of the elite brains across the Indian heartland. It is the biggest conflux of students, industry and academia...
in simple rankine cycle the the hot steam from the boiler is passes through the turbine to produce shaft work.. after this that steam get condensed which still contains good...
hi every body. Actually my friend name is megha. she is a nice girl. But she will get angry even at small things. many of my friends are victims of...
Hi all, xScribble is an app I developed with the help of my friends as our Mini project at college. It is a Gtalk client, and the twist is that...