Aakash Tablet: Government Buys It For $50 From DataWind & Sells It For $35. How Come?

Government of India will obtain the much hyped Aakash Tablet - the world's cheapest tablet for $50 and then make it available for Indian customers for about $35. Where does the Government Of India get the balance $15 from? One of the articles on #-Link-Snipped-# says that the $15 that goes into DataWind's pocket comes from Indian Tax Payer's money. I personally doubt the capabilities of this tablet and how it will leverage 'digital education' among Indian students.

What's your opinion on this issue?

Replies

• Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Re: Aakash Tablet: Government Buys It For $50 From DataWind & Sells It For $35. How C

Of course it's a new revolutionary initiative(quite doubtful performance wise), but looking at the fact that we are selling it in India is quite unwelcoming. Moreover, how will this help the under-privileged kids? Wouldn't this change the use of personal computers (if ever it were implemented in reality). When will the kids learn to type? And will servicing be easily available at such low costs? Why waste money on a tablet when you can get a small PC at a little more higher cost?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Re: Aakash Tablet: Government Buys It For $50 From DataWind & Sells It For $35. How C

The_Big_K
    Government of India will obtain the much hyped Aakash Tablet - the world's cheapest tablet for $50 and then make it available for Indian customers for about $35. Where does the Government Of India get the balance $15 from? One of the articles on #-Link-Snipped-# says that the $15 that goes into DataWind's pocket comes from Indian Tax Payer's money. I personally doubt the capabilities of this tablet and how it will leverage 'digital education' among Indian students. What's your opinion on this issue?
    I see from the papers that the free lap tops given by Jaya are sold in Kerala markets @ Rs.12,000. The intermediaries get it in Tamil Nadu @ Rs.10,000. The same fate is true of the induction cook tops and mixies.

What would the intended economically disadvantaged (why this is more acceptable than poor is beyond logic) students do with these tablets living in houses without power? We already pay an education cess. The least the government can do do is to charge it as a 'Sops surcharge' so that it is upfront.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hai Friends, I got the following via e-mail. Is this any true? [TABLE] [TR] [TD][TABLE="width: 100%"] [TR] [TD][TABLE="align: center"] [TR] [TD][TABLE="width: 100%"] [TR] [TD]Right now, India is the richest country...
I would rather watch it I guess than pilot it! Outfitted with a 1500cc engine, a watertight cockpit and six dolphin-like fins, the Innespace Seabreacher redefines personal watercraft. https://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2011-05/cruise-underwater-speedboat-while-listening-your-ipod
Guys i am doing final year B.E Information Science and i need ideas for ma final year project.i am looking for domains like mobile communication,adhoc networks,computer networks and when i...
We are basically trying to find out the time interval between the instants that a particle is in a particular initial point and that at which it is at a...
Hi everyone!!!😁😁 here's some info about me... Name: T.Aakarsh deep. Engineering trade: Mechanical engineering. Location: Coimbatore, India. Occupation: Student. Hobbies and intrests: Automobiles, Robotics, RC planes, gas turbines, ornithopters, volleyball,...