A silly doubt regarding nomenclature of systems

This may sound silly, but please let me know which of the statements is true.
a)A 11/33kV transformer has a 11kV primary and a 33kV secondary
b)A11/33kV transformer has a 33 kV primary and 11kV secondary
I have been taught and that option a is true, but in our firm, i saw a few papers in which they mentioned option 2. When I asked them, they told me they are not sure themselves. Please help. I am in deep trouble.😔

Replies

• aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Anyone, please help. Big K, anyone...
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    What is to be taken into consideration is , where the load is connected.

Mostly in all firms , I mean where the transformers are manufactured they talk about STEP - DOWN as default. So that might be the confusion among.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I mean the usage here , if in 11/33kV ; If you are using it for Step - Down purpose you connect Load to 11kV. And generally load is connected to secondary!

got me? or I confused you?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I believe my question is not clear. Suppose i give you specification of a switch yard, where I say that I have a 11/33kV transformer, what do you infer from that? What kind of a transformer is it, step up, or step down?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is my understanding my be wrong!

It is a transformer which converts Voltage for 11Kv to 33kV or Vice Versa!!
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    English-Scared
    This is my understanding my be wrong!

It is a transformer which converts Voltage for 11Kv to 33kV or Vice Versa!!
    I would like to know what that transformer would do if I mention that it is a 11/33kV transformer. Can anyone help?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    aj_onduty
    I believe my question is not clear. Suppose i give you specification of a switch yard, where I say that I have a 11/33kV transformer, what do you infer from that? What kind of a transformer is it, step up, or step down?
    If i remember some part of physics that i read in +2 then you are talking about step up transformer
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Thank you for the information goyal. Now, is this right to use the convention the other way round? Can we call a 11/33kV transformer a step down transformer too? Can anyone explain the basis, the convention on which we name the transformer and define it?
    I may be sounding silly, but I badly need to make sure of it.
    Sorry for taking your time, thank you.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If strictly speaking then its obviously a step up transformer!

So option (a).
  • elan_arr
    elan_arr
    well, i can say that in a switch yard ,they mean that 11kv is the primary and 33kv is the secondary but strictly by theory it is just the ratio and we cant say about the type until we know where the load is connected.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey AJ,

It step- UP and Step- Down are the terms used according to the transformer used in application.

Hence both the statements are correct.

If you are looking for generation side then it is a STEP-UP transformer.

If you are looking from distribution side then it is a STEP-DOWN transformer.

While reading in papers mostly it is mentioned.

From which side they are considering.

Mostly in switch yard (NOT GENERATION PLANT but RECEIVING) Second Statement is used.

You get that?? Or Should I explain You more??

Regards,
    VIPUL

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans, We all regularly get queries form CEans regarding creating an impressive CV. HappyCV is a web application that helps us create customized good-looking CVs within minutes. Creating and...
hello guys... we hav tech fest in our coll...n i m incharge for electrical dept... can ne1 pls giv me some innovative events we can plan for...
hello. i need guidance in pasting my blog url in my signature. thank you.
some one give the idea to do some project based on mechanical engineering
Google is reported to have taken over Israel's Quiksee for about $10 million dollars. Quiksee allows users to create location-based interactive media content. Its web-based content, the company says, "lets...