A mouse pointer is better than a touch screen! - True or Not?

We've all sort of equipped ourselves to type like maniacs on the keyboard, and do wonders with our mouse. But now revolution has come. We are now more tempted with technological advancements and the 'lie of ease' to switch over to touch interfaces - be it smartphones, phablets, tablets or Smart PCs. And I believe that most of us have fallen prey to the fangs of this so called technical advancement.

Here are a few things you've to answer for me:

1. Be it a boon or a bane - does your mouse pointer still do better things than any other touch screen available today?

2. List some cool stuff you can do with your mouse which you can't do with your touch!

3. 15 years from now, where do you think your current mouse to be? - on the attic or on your workstation table?

4. Answer the poll.

5. Go back and relish your days with your mouse.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, not always! I personally think that mouse pointers are more convenient on the desktops and laptops while doing regular work: Internet, Spreadsheets, Email, Presentations, Document editing etc. But touch-screens are more effective on the tablets and mobiles. How'd the mobiles be without a touchscreen?

Now, I like the using touchscreen with a stylus. Imagine I've to draw a shape and that's where I can draw a correct shape with a stylus on the touch-screen. If I want to add a digital signature to any document, touch-screens are more friendly. But if I've to use a touch-enabled desktop monitor or a laptop; then I'd get frustrated in no time. I think selecting, copying and pasting is tad easier with mouse than with touch.

But that could just be me. I'm using computer for over a decade with mouse and keyboards 😀.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Ganapathi is the God of computing. Mouse is his official vahan. How can you have computing without a mouse with or without a tangled tail?
    I vote for mouse (We even have a mouse for PM).
    Ganpati Bappa Morya - Jai Lord Ganesha
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, not always! I personally think that mouse pointers are more convenient on the desktops and laptops while doing regular work: Internet, Spreadsheets, Email, Presentations, Document editing etc. But touch-screens are more effective on the tablets and mobiles. How'd the mobiles be without a touchscreen?

Now, I like the using touchscreen with a stylus. Imagine I've to draw a shape and that's where I can draw a correct shape with a stylus on the touch-screen. If I want to add a digital signature to any document, touch-screens are more friendly. But if I've to use a touch-enabled desktop monitor or a laptop; then I'd get frustrated in no time. I think selecting, copying and pasting is tad easier with mouse than with touch.

But that could just be me. I'm using computer for over a decade with mouse and keyboards 😀.
    What you've said is true regarding the drawing and digital signature part. However, on weighing both pros and cons, I guess the mouse definitely wins over touch.

Let's see what other CEans have to say about this!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dropbox, the service millions of people around the world use to keep their files in the cloud, has organised their first-ever developer conference called DBX. Dropbox CEO, Drew Houston has...
Quote: Boeing is preparing a 1000 passenger jet that could reshape the Air travel industry for the next 100 years.The radical Blended Wing design has been developed by Boeing in...
Step Aside Google Glass? Fraunhofer’s Data Glasses Said to Truly Augment Reality The bidirectional OLED screens of the Fraunhofer's Data Glasses permit viewing the real world and the virtual world...
For those telecom / networking enthusiasts, Patexia has recently launched several contests in this area and offers $5000 to best answers. More details here: https://bit.ly/151e2m3
Tata Communications, the Indian global telecom company based in Mumbai, has launched a new on-demand video conferencing service called Jamvee. Tata's Jamvee is a a multi-device platform which does not...