3 Years Experience : MS / MBA Or Continue With Job?

Hi All,
I have 3 years of experience in IT industry and presently i am working with Adobe India.
Now, i feel like i should pursue M.S from Abroad.

1)Could you please guide me that which place should i focus to get admission for M.S so that after studying from there, I can settle down there and pursue my job there only?

2)Please tell me that job market these days is good for M.S people or MBA people ?

3) Please tell me the approximate expenses that i would have to incur?

4)Also please suggest that how can i manage to prepare for M.S while working?

5) Is it worth doing or i should continue with my job ?

Thanks in Advance !

Replies

• Sunny Kichloo
    Sunny Kichloo
    Answer to your questions:--

1)Could you please guide me that which place should i focus to get admission for M.S so that after studying from there, I can settle down there and pursue my job there only?

Ans :-- USA is good for Pursuing MS and there are lots of Job opportunities there.Also you can try Australia or Singapore.

2)Please tell me that job market these days is good for M.S people or MBA people ?

Ans:--See for both job market is good.If you have years of experience in Technical Background and if you are interested to pursue that then Better do MS otherwise if you are looking for Domain Switch Do MBA.

Ans:-- At an Average MS Cost in USA ranges from 24 lakhs to 30 lakhs.If cost is the matter of concern then you can look out for STATE Universities as they are cheaper then other Universities.Also MBA is more expensive then MS as per my understanding.

Ans:--You should start by giving some Mock Test and see the results and work on area that need improvement.Obviously it requires some level of commitment if you are preparing for some exam.There are lots of good books available in Market which can help you if you are preparing for MS.As per me MS Consists of 2 section Mainly Quant and Verbal.So you can work on that two section .

Ans:-- If you whole motive is to Complete Masters then this is the right time to pursue MS or MBA also money is one of the factors that attract people to do MBA or MS but it solely depends on people perception.Lot of people are satisfied in there current job only and hence they don't want to do any Masters Courses.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe

- If settling down in a foreign country+money is your sole objective, do a less taxing (intellectually) degree like MIS. If you are interested in genuinely contributing to the technical field, do a M.S. If you want to get into management, do an MBA (after 3 years you must have an idea as to whether or not you enjoy technical work). Computer Sciences are good for a M.S. degree in southern (California, Texas) USA universities or on the east coast (New York, Masachussets). This is not a thumb rule, use US News and Rankings as a guide to decide your university selection. Also use EDULIX, it is an amazing forum. No idea about MBA, but its a whole lot expensive than a MS. Also, it pays a whole lot more once you get a job than after graduating with a MS degree.

- Very open question, so I will give a very open answer. It is better than it was. I see a lot of people getting jobs fairly easily. (This is not a general answer, just my point of view. Don't base your decision on my point of view only)

- Depends, for a state university, anywhere between 20-30 lakhs (as #-Link-Snipped-# rightly mentioned), assuming you are not funded for research by the university throughout your course. You can reduce your cost by a significant amount if you secure funding. Talk with professors for research assistantship right when you start applying to universities. If a professor thinks, by looking at your profile, that you are a good match for his/her research group, (s)he might give you funding right from the start (or very soon after you start the course). This means you will not have to pay the fee and in addition will get paid! This is a win-win scenario. Also remember, if you apply to top universities, the chances of you securing funding are also a whole lot higher. If you have a good academic profile and work experience, I suggest apply for good universities, a whole new world will open up for you! Again, weigh university ranking versus cost of attending that university thoroughly. Here, I would suggest that you use EDULIX to maximum benefit (I am not promoting the forum, its just that I got a lot of help when I was applying).

- Tough task, I did start my preparation while working. I quit when I had 3 years experience too. Anything later is too late (again my perspective, I have friends who came later).

Get books for GRE and start preparing. Also use the BIG BOOK for Verbal. Since you are an engineer, quant should be a cakewalk for you. But prepare for it nonetheless. Verbal on the other hand, requires a lot more practice.

- No answer. Totally your call.

[All my answers are from a MS perspective]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So, I upgraded my Macbook (2009) to Mac OS X Yosemite a few days back and have been facing a peculiar issue. Whenever I open any image using the Preview...
Scientists have found out a way that will make it easier for them to suck the blood out of your veins - for scientific tests, research or donating it to...
Qulp is a collaborative product innovation company that develops your ideas into real products. Founded by Vinay Degavath in the year 2013, the Qulp team develops customer's amazing ideas into...
Hello Friends, I am almost completing my btech and looking for a job. I was selected by a startup myrefers as a .NET developer. Should I join them or should...
HTC has quietly listed an Universal USB charger named 'HTC Rapid Charger 2.0' on its official US website. The 15 watt travel charger is said to be compatible with every...