CrazyEngineers
  • andenagaveni24
    andenagaveni24

MemberAug 15, 2011

1 BYTE = 8 bits

friends two days ago i attended a mock interview....everything was well i answered most of the questions asked by the technical panel.
    he asked me to prove
    1 byte = 8 bits
    i couldnot do that?
    plz you too try dis...how can we prove this....
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • andenagaveni24

MemberAug 15, 2011

friends two days ago i attended a mock interview....everything was well i answered most of the questions asked by the technical panel.<br>he asked me to prove

1 byte = 8 bits

i couldnt do it

plz you too try dis...how can we prove this....
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorAug 15, 2011

There's nothing to prove. It's like asking to prove 1KG = 1000 grams. The bit, byte system has been adopted because this system can represent unsigned integer from zero through 255 or any signed integer from -128 to 127. The relation 1 <=> 8 is offered because the semiconductors store data in terms of positive (1) and neutral (0) voltages which leads us to using binary system. 2[SUP]3[/SUP] = 8.

CS experts - am I right?
    Cancel
  • Kishan Gupta

MemberAug 15, 2011

The_Big_K
    There's nothing to prove. It's like asking to prove 1KG = 1000 grams. The bit, byte system has been adopted because this system can represent unsigned integer from zero through 255 or any signed integer from -128 to 127. The relation 1 <=> 8 is offered because the semiconductors store data in terms of positive (1) and neutral (0) voltages which leads us to using binary system. 2[SUP]3[/SUP] = 8.

CS experts - am I right?
    still i am confuse why 1<=> 8 relation is made, why not 1<=> 4 (2^2 =4) or 1 <=> 16 (2^4 = 16)?
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorAug 15, 2011

jcksn
    still i am confuse why 1<=> 8 relation is made, why not 1<=> 4 (2^2 =4) or 1 <=> 16 (2^4 = 16)?
    I'm glad that you asked this question. This could be a very good Interview question. The explanation of this can be found on this page: #-Link-Snipped-#

Quoting from above source -

[SIZE=+2]Bytes[/SIZE]
    Bits are rarely seen alone in computers. They are almost always bundled together into 8-bit collections, and these collections are called bytes. Why are there 8 bits in a byte? A similar question is, "Why are there 12 eggs in a dozen?" The 8-bit byte is something that people settled on through trial and error over the past 50 years.

With 8 bits in a byte, you can represent 256 values ranging from 0 to 255, as shown here:

• 0 = 00000000
        1 = 00000001
        2 = 00000010
        254 = 11111110
        255 = 11111111
    Go through the link I mentioned above for details 😀
    Cancel
  • Kishan Gupta

MemberAug 15, 2011

Thank you BIG_K for your reply.

After reading provided page by you, I understand that, computer uses ASCII values for storing data, and ASCII values needed maximum 256 means 2^8 values. So we started to use 1 <=>8 relation. Am I understand correctly?
    Cancel
  • Kishan Gupta

MemberAug 15, 2011

I am also go through this page

#-Link-Snipped-#

In that reason for 1B=8b is given that
    Why eight? The earliest computers could only send 8 bits at a time, it was only natural to start writing code in sets of 8 bits. This came to be called a byte.
    Cancel
  • gobi15

MemberAug 16, 2011

ok i understand .in computer it represent a character from any one of 127 ASCII number , so why we go for 8 bit instead of 7 bit ... because 2^7=128 ....128 ascii numbers is there ..7 bit suffient then why go for 8 bit ...pls reply ....
    Cancel
  • Kishan Gupta

MemberAug 17, 2011

I am not sure, but there are many other symbols too (other language then English symbol, some special symbol or keys, etc), that can be represent after 127 symbols. Also we need +, - signs to add in numerical, and that can be represent by 8th bit, and by using this we can represent from -128 to 127 decimal number.
    Cancel
  • Arjuno

MemberSep 9, 2011

what i knew:
    1 Byte = 4 nibbles = 8 bits
    Cancel
  • Kishan Gupta

MemberSep 9, 2011

Arjuno
    what i knew:
    1 Byte = 4 nibbles = 8 bits
    what I knew:

1 Byte= 2 nibbles = 8 bits.

Because 1 nibbles = 4 bits.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register