1 BYTE = 8 bits

friends two days ago i attended a mock interview....everything was well i answered most of the questions asked by the technical panel.
he asked me to prove
1 byte = 8 bits
i couldnot do that?
plz you too try dis...how can we prove this....

Replies

• andenagaveni24
    andenagaveni24
    friends two days ago i attended a mock interview....everything was well i answered most of the questions asked by the technical panel.
    he asked me to prove

1 byte = 8 bits

i couldnt do it

plz you too try dis...how can we prove this....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There's nothing to prove. It's like asking to prove 1KG = 1000 grams. The bit, byte system has been adopted because this system can represent unsigned integer from zero through 255 or any signed integer from -128 to 127. The relation 1 <=> 8 is offered because the semiconductors store data in terms of positive (1) and neutral (0) voltages which leads us to using binary system. 2[SUP]3[/SUP] = 8.

CS experts - am I right?
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    The_Big_K
    There's nothing to prove. It's like asking to prove 1KG = 1000 grams. The bit, byte system has been adopted because this system can represent unsigned integer from zero through 255 or any signed integer from -128 to 127. The relation 1 <=> 8 is offered because the semiconductors store data in terms of positive (1) and neutral (0) voltages which leads us to using binary system. 2[SUP]3[/SUP] = 8.

CS experts - am I right?
    still i am confuse why 1<=> 8 relation is made, why not 1<=> 4 (2^2 =4) or 1 <=> 16 (2^4 = 16)?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    jcksn
    still i am confuse why 1<=> 8 relation is made, why not 1<=> 4 (2^2 =4) or 1 <=> 16 (2^4 = 16)?
    I'm glad that you asked this question. This could be a very good Interview question. The explanation of this can be found on this page: #-Link-Snipped-#

Quoting from above source -

[SIZE=+2]Bytes[/SIZE]
    Bits are rarely seen alone in computers. They are almost always bundled together into 8-bit collections, and these collections are called bytes. Why are there 8 bits in a byte? A similar question is, "Why are there 12 eggs in a dozen?" The 8-bit byte is something that people settled on through trial and error over the past 50 years.

With 8 bits in a byte, you can represent 256 values ranging from 0 to 255, as shown here:

• 0 = 00000000
        1 = 00000001
        2 = 00000010
        254 = 11111110
        255 = 11111111
    Go through the link I mentioned above for details 😀
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Thank you BIG_K for your reply.

After reading provided page by you, I understand that, computer uses ASCII values for storing data, and ASCII values needed maximum 256 means 2^8 values. So we started to use 1 <=>8 relation. Am I understand correctly?
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    I am also go through this page

#-Link-Snipped-#

In that reason for 1B=8b is given that
    Why eight? The earliest computers could only send 8 bits at a time, it was only natural to start writing code in sets of 8 bits. This came to be called a byte.
  • gobi15
    gobi15
    ok i understand .in computer it represent a character from any one of 127 ASCII number , so why we go for 8 bit instead of 7 bit ... because 2^7=128 ....128 ascii numbers is there ..7 bit suffient then why go for 8 bit ...pls reply ....
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    I am not sure, but there are many other symbols too (other language then English symbol, some special symbol or keys, etc), that can be represent after 127 symbols. Also we need +, - signs to add in numerical, and that can be represent by 8th bit, and by using this we can represent from -128 to 127 decimal number.
  • Arjuno
    Arjuno
    what i knew:
    1 Byte = 4 nibbles = 8 bits
  • Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    Arjuno
    what i knew:
    1 Byte = 4 nibbles = 8 bits
    what I knew:

1 Byte= 2 nibbles = 8 bits.

Because 1 nibbles = 4 bits.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Could someone share the method to embed Adobe TV tutorials on blogs?
AM wave is given by (for single tone modulation) S[SUB]am[/SUB]= V[SUB]c[/SUB]cosw[SUB]c[/SUB]t +mV[SUB]c[/SUB]/2 cos (w[SUB]c[/SUB]+w[SUB]m[/SUB])t + mV[SUB]c[/SUB]/2 cos(w[SUB]c[/SUB]-w[SUB]m[/SUB])t power=V[SUB]c[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP]/2+ m[SUP]2[/SUP]V[SUB]c[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP]/8+m[SUP]2[/SUP]V[SUB]c[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP]/8 here why do we take the resistance as 1??
What is the placement process for BSNL? Do they take technical interviews? Has anyone appeared for BSNL in campus placements? Here are a few questions that appear in their aptitude...
I heard Blue Star visits campuses in some cities. For what branches does it visit? Could anyone share their interview process? The aptitude papers for Blue Star are shared here:
i was wondering what is a better laptop? i want a netbook laptop but i can't decides between the 2 processors please give me a hand and tell me what...