Dell U3223QE Vs P3223QE - Which is Better?

By - Kaustubh Katdare • 1 year ago • 24k views

I'm looking to upgrade my desktop and read good reviews about Dell UltraSharp monitors.

I'll primarily use it with Mac Mini M2 that I'm looking to buy next. The monitor seems to be a solid options give the ports it offers.

Thanks to Dell's super ambiguous monitor naming schemes that I noticed that there are TWO different monitors at different pricing points -

• Dell U3223QE
  • Dell P3223QE

Even the comparison offered on Dell's official website is so dull that I had to research online for the basic differences. Couldn't find anything useful.

Let me know what's the basic difference between these two Dell UltraSharp monitors. Thanks!

Replies

• Rohit
    Rohit Joshi

The main difference between U3223QE Vs P3223QE is that the "U3223QE" version offers an IPS Black display; while the other doesn't. IPS Black technology provides 35% deeper black than conventional IPS, so that it enables sharper expression.

At the same white luminance of 400nit, the black luminance of conventional IPS and IPS black (> 2,000:1) varies by approximately 0.1 nit.

That is the reason it is offered at a premium over the P3223QE.

There are few other differences -

• Additional ports (two extra USB 3.2 type A's, one audio line-out port, one displayport out port, and two extra Type C's, one C port is used as upstream to hook up to a computer, the other as downstream for peripherals)

• Ability to daisy chain another monitor via the DisplayPort out port.

• Built-in KVM switch to hook up two computers to one set of peripherals + monitor (w/ KVM) itself.

• Split-view of two video-in sources, or "Picture-in-picture" mode.

If you don't use multiple monitors - you won't find a difference. If you are willing to compromise on the monitor size, look at Dell UltraSharp U2723QE - it's got everything you'd want.

• Rohit
    Rohit Joshi

Adding to my previous response.

Frankly speaking, the difference between IPS and IPS Black may not be very relevant for people who use computers for non-design tasks, such as coding, document creation.

The text looks crip on both panels; but scenes with black background may show a noticeable difference.

Main drawbacks of IPS panels is that they often have inferior black levels and lower contrast ratios compared to other panel technologies, such as VA (Vertical Alignment) panels.

This means that black colors may appear slightly gray or washed out, especially in dark environments.

If you can deal with that; don't spend $100-$120 bucks more.

• Kaustubh
    Kaustubh Katdare

Update:

I've bought the Dell U2723QE Monitor and been using it as my daily driver for the past 1 month. Here are few main points of my review:-

1. The display is better than I expected. The text is crisp and I have no problems.
    2. No need to worry about the 4K scaling on MacOS. Everything works fine.
    3. The biggest advantage of this monitor is the stand it comes with. It offers height adjustment, tilt adjustment. I use these more frequently than I initially imagined. I couldn't be happier.
    4. The number of ports is very handy. I have already attached PreSonus 3.5" monitors, a cable to charge my phone and another cable to charge my smartwatch.
    5. Price: This monitor is 33.33% price of the Apple Studio Monitor with more features and functionality.

I think I couldn't ask for more. Super happy with my Dell Ultrasharp U2723QE. Would happily recommend to anyone looking for a good monitor.

Note: Only logged-in members of CrazyEngineers can add replies.

Other questions

Can an engineer become a doctor? If you got forced into studying engineering and want to go back to your first love - medicine (MBBS), what are your options? Let's discuss.

Yes, an engineer can become a doctor. But it won't be easy. Engineering degrees worldwide are mostly 4-year degree courses and medicine too requires an average of 4-5 years followed by mandatory internship. Not everyone has the patience, money and time to dedicate a decade only to learning.

If you are an engineer or engineering student who wants to...

I was recently asked if a data engineer can become a data science. How difficult is it for data engineers to switch career to data scientist and what type of training is involved. Looking for responses from data engineers and data scientists.

A data engineer can become a machine learning engineer with proper training. Keep in mind that being a data engineer is not a prerequisite for becoming a machine learning engineer.

I find this question very similar to Can data engineer become a data scientist?. Do take a look at that discussion as well.

Data engineering is an emerging field in the big-data domain and there's a growing demand for data engineers.

A typical data engineer role involves collecting data, creating data pipelines, verifying the data, correcting it and...

Can data engineer work from home? Or do they have to be physically present at the work-site to get their data engineering job done? Let me answer this commonly asked question.

A data engineer can definitely work from home. The role of data engineer does not require the engineer to be physically present on-site. Why? because 99% of the data engineering work happens in the cloud. All you'll need is a strong Internet connection and credentials to login to your cloud accounts to build data pipelines.

Can data engineers...

Almost every engineer from the Indian middle class has considered working in a bank. Why? Traditionally, for most of Indian families - a bank job is safe, secure and gives you freedom to enjoy holidays. Also - you can settle much faster in life with a bank job. So, can engineer work in bank?

An engineer can definitely work in bank. I've had several friends who got first-class degree in engineering, then opted for MBA and then chose to work for a bank.

I'm sure you'd have engineer friends who're...