Zener fails in transformerless power supply

Hi am using one transformerless power supply in which capacitor reractance is used to decrease the mains voltage and zener(10 volt 2 watt) as regualator its about10 volt and load is of 50mA.
But the problem is that some times zener fails what could be the reason ?

Replies

• balaseven
    balaseven
    Hi kuku,

Make sure that u have reverse biased the ZENER diode.Moreover,your expected regulated output should be same as zener diodes reverse breakdown voltage or zener voltage.For example, If your expected regulated output is 10V,you should select diode which has zener voltage as 10.
    Hope this helps u.
  • kuku
    kuku
    Hi BibB,
    Thank for that.
    But everything is ok.Then also it fails.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    why dont ya use high-ampere diode say HV135 or simply increse the capacitor load
  • balaseven
    balaseven
    Kuku,

whats your input voltage,is it 230V AC?
    i think,you r trying to get the step down transformers's funtion without using transformer,isn't it?if you dont mind,post your circuit,i will analyze and try to tel the reason.
  • kuku
    kuku
    hi Sourav,
    Thanks for reply. Actually i think its not taking so much power with calculation its hardly reaching 1W.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    hey if u need DC supply then use a bridge rectifier as it devides the load between the diode,if u wanna regulate the AC voltage then diode is not suggested but why u aint using a transformer???...its the best way to regulate AC...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans, I've been thinking about how aliens talk, if we got nice visit from some aliens how would we communicate, what common language we can both understand. I know...
HI,friends please tell me the proper definiton and formulas for electrical parameters.......
friends, please give me the short view about pic controller😒
No, we aren't discussing Sidney Sheldon's Tell Me Your Dreams : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell_Me_Your_Dreams Tell us what did you dream last night! I'll set the ball rolling - I dreamed about CE...
Google has relaunced its Coding competition and registrations are already open. If you are good at programming in any language head to : Google - Code Jam Why didnt anyone...